Replacing well tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

marlboro

Reaction score
I believe I need to replace my well tank. My pump has been short cycling every second or two when I run water. I checked the air valve on the top and as soon as I press the tip in, water spurts out. So I am guessing the bladder must have ruptured.

I dont know much about well tanks. Do I have to get the exact same type? I have a Challenger diaphragm well tank, 30 something gallons. Can I just pick up something like this:

http://www.*********.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Its a Flotec 35 gallon Capacity Pre-Charged Pressure Tank, Vertical, With 82 Gallon Equivalent

Or do I need to get something with near exact specs and type as the one I take out?

marlboro

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have heard about getting a bigger tank is better. Unfortunately, it doesnt look like the normal hardware type stores carry anything bigger. And im sure I could go through a plumber and have them install, then im looking at a pretty high cost considering theyll probably charge nearly $400 for the installation alone. And I also dont want to wait much longer to get this taken care of, given that the short cycling is so frequent and I dont want to risk further damage to the system if I wait longer.

marlboro

Reaction score
Well, I did buy the tank I mentioned, but after draining the old tank, I realized that I needed to cut the copper line going from the T connection to the house because there was no other way to disconnect it. WHoever installed this, basically welded that side. The side going to out the house to the well, I was able to disconnect.

Now that Im going to have to get some solder tools and copper pieces, I got to thinking about what you said about a bigger tank. My dad told me the same thing. Id figure perhaps I could find a 50 gallon, but it doesnt seem places like Home Depot and such carry those. Any recommendations on where I can get a bigger tank and possibly what brand I should go with?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Two 30 gallon tanks are bigger than a single 50. Just put another tee in the line and use two tanks. Bigger or more tanks don't stop the cycling, they just slow it down. With a CSV and one small tank, cycling during long term water use is eliminated. We only use a 4.4 gallon tank with the CSV, like the one in the picture to the left.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Look for a plumbing wholesaler (where the plumbers get their stuff). They will be able to get you a larger tank that will be of better quality than any of the "big box" stores sell.

marlboro

Reaction score
Two 30 gallon tanks are bigger than a single 50. Just put another tee in the line and use two tanks. Bigger or more tanks don't stop the cycling, they just slow it down. With a CSV and one small tank, cycling during long term water use is eliminated. We only use a 4.4 gallon tank with the CSV, like the one in the picture to the left.

Very interesting. I really think I should look into this. Perhaps, I could just keep the 35 gallon tank I bought, use that with a CSV. What are the cons of the CSV vice not using it?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The disadvantage to the CSV and small tank, is that you may pay a little more per gallon of water produced in energy use. If you use very little water and only intermittently, like for just the house, it could cost you as much as 5 dollars a month more in the electric bill. If you use 75% of the pumps maximum flow for long periods of time, the electric bill could even be reduced using the CSV.

The advantages for using the CSV are…
Constant Pressure in the shower, house, and sprinklers.
Reduced tank size required.
Eliminates water hammer from pump start and stop.
Reduces the number of pump cycles.
Makes pumps, motors, tanks, switches, and controls last longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks