Replacing well riser from iron to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolul007

Reaction score
First if my terminology is incorrect, go ahead and straighten me out. I am not a plumber, etc. I am thinking about replacing the pipe from a submersible pump in a well with PVC. I have a rust problem and I want to eliminate the possibility that the pipe is part of the problem. The well is 30+ years old. I am worried about the starting torque of the submersible pump. Basically I need to know what product to use and if the torque is a problem or other things to consider. I think the pipe is 1" iron.

Thank you...

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sch 80 threaded PVC with brass or SS couplings, Sch 120 PVC with belled and threaded ends, or 1", 160# black poly pipe with barbed insert fittings using a couple of hose clamps will all work if the well isn't too deep. The hard part will be getting the old steel pipe out. Starting torque isn't much of a problem with these types of pipe, especially if you don't let the pump cycle on and off too much like when using a Cycle Stop Valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks