replacing water lines...does this sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

groovychic

Reaction score
Hi.

My grandpa's finally agreed to replace the 50+ yr old water lines.
(WOOHOO - a shower with water pressure!!!! :D doing happy dance)

The old pipes are so full of hard water deposits , pressure and flow is almost non-existent. If you point the hand held shower head at the ceiling, it doesn't even spray.

We've never done this so I'm hoping someone with experience working with well water systems might offer a bit of advice?

We'll be running all new lines, installing a new pump, and installing a water softener at the bigger house.

waterlines.jpg

We're thinking 3/4" pipe from the well to the T, and 1/2" pipe from the T to both houses. Does that sound about right?

What size pump would provide (LOTS of) enough pressure given the distance from the well? Will the water softening system effect pressure?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
thank you.
Cat

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipe size you plan is way too small, especially considering the length. I'll let the pros help with the sizing, but don't do it with 3/4"!

groovychic

Reaction score
ok. thanks.
I'll check back.

I'll be so glad when we get the new lines in. Woke up to no water this morning, spent half the day fighting my way through mesquite trees and briar thickets searching for the leak. Found 2 big ones - tomorrow should be fun. :( lol

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely agree with Jim on 3/4". I'm not a pro either, but I'd guess at least 1-1/2" and perhaps larger. I'm sure you'll get a pro's response, but don't do this be guesswork.

R

Rancher

This is one of those cases where bigger is really better, I use 2" from my well site to my house, which is around 400'. The cost difference between 1-1/2" and 2" PVC really doesn't break the bank, in fact I ran 2, 2" lines, one for the house, one for the barn I've never been sorry.

Rancher

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Terry 2" min. to the T and you can reduce to 1.5 at the T to each house.

The labor is what is going to be the big cost of doing this not the pipe.

groovychic

Reaction score
ok. 2" it is.

The well is a long way from both houses, but it was already here when my grandpa moved here. He was 3 yrs old then, he's 78 now. It's the only natural water source on this side of the county. When he was a kid, neighbors would come on horse drawn wagons to get water and haul it home for their livestock. Kinda cool when you think about it. :)

thank you for all the replies. I'll post back and let you know how things are working out.

Cat

R

Rancher

groovychic said:
ok. 2" it is.
Basically when you go above 2" the cost goes up fast, unless gramps is living from SS check to SS check tell him to do the whole job with 2". I'll bet the old run was done with 2" glavanized steel.

Rancher

TedL

Reaction score
I think the change in elevation from the well to the houses is going to be a big factor in pump sizing. You gave no indication of the lay of the land.

groovychic

Reaction score
It's downhill from the well to the T.
From the T to the south - downhill.
From the T to the north - downhill.

the only bright spot in this whole project. :p

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's the elevation change? That all by itself might give you problems with pressure and the pipe selection (i.e., too much).

Speedbump

Reaction score
The other thing to think about is how much water does this hand dug shallow well produce. I have never seen one that can keep up with a 1/2hp submersible pump. You should rent a pump first and test pump the well to see just how many gallons per minute it will sustain. Then a pump can be picked out.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks