Replacing Washer outlet with dual receptacle

Users who are viewing this thread

Agu

Reaction score
Current outlet in the laundry room is a single 20 amp dedicated outlet for the washing machine. From what I can determine that was code when my house was built.

Current washer draws 10 amps, I want to add a dryer booster fan that draws .6 amps but have no place to plug it in. So I have two questions.

Is there any issue with replacing the single receptacle with a double as far as code or safety?

I have a new GFCI on hand but it's 15 amps, again is using it an issue as far as code or safety using it on a 20 amp circuit ? Should I just bite the bullet and get a 20 amp GFCI ?

OK, that was three questions ............;)

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Is there a laundry tub within 6' of this rec?
A 15 A duplex is ok on a 20A cir. which gfci's are.

Agu

Reaction score
No laundry tub in the laundry room, laundry tub is in the garage which is much more convenient.

Ran into an electrician friend and he recommended staying with a 20 amp outlet. Even though I'm using fewer amps the next owner may put more on the circuit and burn the house down.

Turns out I had a 20 amp GFCI on hand so that's what I used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks