Replacing Vent Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

psaw

Reaction score
I have a house built in the 60s that has a copper 3 inch main vent. The pipe is corroded most of the way up and is leaking small amounts of sewer gas. I want to replace the pipe, but want to use ABS or PVC. The problem is that the wall is 3 1/2" thick (2x4 studs) and the OD on plastic is bigger than copper. On top of this, the tub and sink vents connect in the wall. A typical hub on a plastic connector is 4" which does not fit in the existing wall space. Any thoughts on solutions so I don't have to rebuild the wall? Thanks

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
You could run 2 vents. The first one would be a your 3" vent from the floor below,just run it straight up to the attic with no joints in the wall-thats one reason why you can get 10' lengths. The tub and sink vent can be connected together above the flood level rim of the sink as an 1 1/2" and then connect to the 3" in the attic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks