Replacing Vanity: Pipes through floor or through wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Arun

Reaction score
We are having our bathroom redone and had our old vanity replaced; it extended all the way down to the floor. The new vanity is on legs, and a peak under revealed, to my chagrin, what you see in the attached picture. Not a pretty sight.

Could the pipes for the new vanity be routed through the wall behind the vanity? It's standard drywall separating the bedroom from the bathroom.

I'm a novice so if additional information is needed please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks much.

beneath vanity_cr.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All things are possible as long as you have the time and the money.
If that is concrete, you will need to remove everything, break out the concrete and move the pipes.
The copper lines should be silver soldered below the concrete.

Older cabinets went to the floor, with some space below where pipes could hide.
Many of the new cabinets are on legs, which to me, seems to create cleaning problems.
I would imagine that in a few decades, we will be going back to cabinets that go to the floor after we find out how hard it is to clean all of those hard to get to spaces.
My mother who is 98 says she was so happy when tubs started having "surrounds"
Now I'm installing stand alone tubs that sit away from the wall again. The generations forget the lessons of the previous generations. I find it funny. :)

india_2013_3842.jpg

india_elec_0174.jpg

Last edited:

Arun

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks for the quick reply and for the pics. I posted from India (am visiting family here) but home and the bathroom in question is in Washington, DC.

The bathroom is on the second floor and was carved out of a BR in the 1990s, from what I can tell. There was wood flooring under the newly installed Durock and tile, and I'm pretty sure there was no concrete--the wood flooring was removed in the shower area.

Would this information alter your assessment?

Thanks.

Arun

All things are possible as long as you have the time and the money.
If that is concrete, you will need to remove everything, break out the concrete and move the pipes.
The copper lines should be silver soldered below the concrete.

Older cabinets went to the floor, with some space below where pipes could hide.
Many of the new cabinets are on legs, which to me, seems to create cleaning problems.
I would imagine that in a few decades, we will be going back to cabinets that go to the floor after we find out how hard it is to clean all of those hard to get to spaces.
My mother who is 98 says she was so happy when tubs started having "surrounds"
Now I'm installing stand alone tubs that sit away from the wall again. The generations forget the lessons of the previous generations. I find it funny. :)

india_2013_3842.jpg

india_elec_0174.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the CBU was installed directly on hardwood flooring, you're lucky it has not failed with cracked tile and grout.

On a wooden subfloor, it's easier to get to things to move them around. That's a significant pipe, and may be a pain to get into the wall. IF that wall is a load-bearing one, it might be even harder. Is it an outside wall? If so, it's probably best to leave it where it is. YOu might be able to box it in to help hide it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks