Replacing the temperature knob on a shower panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

zhoffritz

Reaction score
I hope I can get a little help in how to make temperature control in the shower work once again. We have two shower users plus the building's water is extremely slow to heat up--we need to be able to adjust this.

I don't know the brand of the shower panel. Over the years it has become harder and harder to turn the (separate) temp knob--although it's pretty easy to go hotter, it's become impossible to put it back. It was easier to do this when the water is off. I was even using a strap wrench on it for awhile but that now slips. I do NOT want to take a shower panel off the wall if I can help it.

The knob has a small spring-loaded button (that only depresses slightly). That button protrudes app 0.5", not really enough to grip to help turn the knob. It occurred to me that if I found a replacement knob with a longer button or handle, it would give me leverage like the strap wrench used to. I will even weld something onto this button if I have to, but that would be pretty ugly (or an excuse to get a shielding gas setup). Or maybe I could find something with the same threading and put it right into the current knob.

I've googled for info but I haven't been able to find some of the info I need (especially since I don't know the brand):
1. Will any brand's knob fit onto the hexagonal metal piece that protrudes from the panel and actually adjusts the temp? Or does it vary by brand?
2. I can't tell what the spring in the push-button does, it does not appear to be important in getting the temperature adjustment moving?
3. I'm not actually sure if the hexagonal part changes the temperature, or if it's the shaped plastic that encircles it and has a raised and flat part. If it's the circle of plastic, choosing the right knob to interlock with it is important.
4. Where can I get my part(s)? Would a local plumbing place have something?

Thanks so much to anyone who reads this and can offer some help.

Attachments

• _20160629_011954.JPG
    _20160629_011954.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 355
  • _20160629_011924.JPG
    _20160629_011924.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 402

Imran

Reaction score
Hello, I have the same exact issue with the shower column that I have installed. I have tried different things but I cannot get it to move easily from hot to cold setting. I was wondering if you were able to find a fix for it.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the push-in button is the temperature override.
It's meant to limit how hot it normally gets, but pushing it in lets you rotate past that spot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might need to try to remove the cartridge and liberally apply some silicon plumber's grease. IF that doesn't help, you may need to replace the cartridge. It could be that the seals are now just toast, and you've got metal to metal, and that's binding without some lube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks