Replacing tank on vfd

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by greenmonster304, Mar 2, 2012.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 New Member

The tank for my vfd started to leak so I want to replace it but I am not sure what pressure to charge the new tank to. I wasnt sure if the vfd tanks get charged differently. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

The tank precharge is usually about 30% less than the running pressure.
  3. JPat

JPat New Member

Hmmm. Every VFD we have installed, the manufacturer recommends 70% air pressure to running pressure...Doing the math for you; if your running pressure is 60psi the pre-charge in the tank should be 42psi.
  4. valveman

Hi JPat. Doing the math I think 70% of, or 30% less than 60 is still the same 42 PSI. The real question is why did the tank go bad?
  5. JPat

JPat New Member

Meh, tanks go bad all the time. The rubber that most companies are using is recycled... "Do it yourself" tanks have a high failure rate as well. 5yr warranty on all tanks!!!
  6. valveman

Bladder or diaphragm type tanks only go bad for two reasons. Either they rust through, or the bladder breaks. Most of the busted bladders I see on tanks with a VFD, are from the pump not shutting off when it should, causing the pressure to spike and bust the bladder.

One of the big box stores has a 32 gallon tank with a lifetime warranty. I guess it doesn’t have recycled rubber.
  7. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

"Lifetime warranty"...when it breaks, the life is over!!
  8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 New Member

The tank rusted out because it was in a pit that was always damp.
  9. valveman

Good to know. These are the kind of installations that can benefit from a fiberglass tank.

Yeah "lifetime warranty". Can you believe that? I think the company might just change names every few years to get out of warranties. :)