Replacing T/P Relief valve using PVC instead of copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

La Duena

Reaction score
I've seen my basic problem (hot water disharge from the T/P relief valve) previously discussed in this forum. Thanks to all for your input. I checked the water pressure (about 60 psi), and I don't have a PRV or expansion tank. Now I think I am ready to try replacing the T/P valve. My next question is can I replace the copper discharge pipe that runs to the outside of the house with PVC? After I replace the T/P valve, I'd like to install the drain line with a connection that I can attach and detach without soldering, if that is acceptable. Any comments?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't use any PVC inside the house, and specifically never on water over 70º. You can use CPVC, but it is not recommended to connect that directly to the water heater.....you need about 18" of copper to keep the high heat off the plastic.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
It'll be okay to connect 3/4 CPVC to your new tp valve. CPVC is rated at 100 psi at 180 F, and since this is an open drain line there is virtually no pressure on it. Also, the tp should be opening before 180F anyway.

Brent

La Duena

Reaction score
Replacing T/P, using PVC?

jimbo said:
You can't use any PVC inside the house, and specifically never on water over 70º. You can use CPVC, but it is not recommended to connect that directly to the water heater.....you need about 18" of copper to keep the high heat off the plastic.

Thanks for the info. I got the idea that using PVC was OK based on another thread and a photo (Sorry, I don't know how to link to it or quote it, but it is pasted below). This is a gas water heater in an indoor laundry room. I have to cut off the old copper drain pipe to get out the old T/P valve because it goes straight down, then a 90 along the floor and outside through a hole in the wall, then another 90 elbow to the ground. Should I just get someone to sweat it back on using a new fitting into the new T/P valve? I thought putting in some kind of threaded connection would make it easier in the future. I guess I could achieve both objectives by sweating on at least 18" of copper, then putting in a connection to PVC (or CPVC?). Is that a good idea, or more trouble than it is worth?

As far as the other reply asking about the temperature, I'll have to check it. I don't think it is excessive, and I've kept the thermostat on low, but I haven't measured it yet.

Thanks again, and in advance for any advice. As you can tell, I'm a novice, but fairly intelligent and cautious, I think. I'll call in a professional at the first sign of trouble, or if replacing the T/P valve doesn't stop the excessive discharge. The T/P valve is missing the handle, so I think it should be replaced regardless of the drainage.

Lisa

The other thread that had the photo using PVC:
"07-04-2007, 11:58 AM
daddyslipdisk
Junior Member Join Date: Jul 2007

Replaced Pressure valve

Ok, Well I did a few things to try and remedy this problem. the first thing I did was replace the pressure valve. I also purchased a long PVC drain pipe that I attached to the pressure valve so that it just goes straight down to the floor and into a bucket instead of the long winding path it took before. My neighbor who is an HVAC guy for Coolray said that would be fine, but that it wouldn't pass inspection. He said that I would either need to have drainage put in there somehow or get the expansion tank. But he said for now my issue should be resolved and everything should be fine.

I turned the gas back on, lit the pilot and then turned the water back on. So far, there are no leaks at the pressure valve and no drainage coming out of the PVC pipe into the bucket. Actually, I just checked and there were like 2 drops in the bucket.

I figure that if I use the pressure switch each month, that should quell any concerns about pressure build up. Any thoughts? The new repairs are at www.hortonwebdesign.com/heaterfix.htm and the old, bad configuration is at www.hortonwebdesign.com/heater.htm. I just want to make sure that I haven't made a ticking water heater bomb that will endanger my family."

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
cpvc or pvc??

I see sooo many people useing pvc sch 40
for both hot and cold water lines in their homes...

The cpvc is what is supposed to be used for pressurised water systems.......

Although personally I cant really see a problem with
running pvc sch 40 for a straight down to the floor
pop off valve...it being only a drain line that gets used once in a blue moon anyway...

are they worried its going to snap off at the
threaded valve?? sag,
or melt from the heat??

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is about the only place I would suggest using galvanized pipe. It will rarely, if ever, be used so rust and corrosion will never be a problem. It is against code to use PVC, but for the same reasons as noted for galvanized pipe, PVC would work just fine as long as it wasn't caught by an inspector.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but... considering that there's a drain line there already... isn't the simplest thing, to re-use the existing? One sweat joint, versus removing the drain line & putting together a whole new drain line. Isn't this a no-brainer?

La Duena - sweating is about a tenth as hard as you think it is. Especially in this case: since it will never be under pressure, it doesn't even need to be that good a job. This thread:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14183

has all the basics. No need to hire someone, this is something you can definitely do yourself.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
BAPlumber said:
It'll be okay to connect 3/4 CPVC to your new tp valve. CPVC is rated at 100 psi at 180 F, and since this is an open drain line there is virtually no pressure on it. Also, the tp should be opening before 180F anyway.

Brent

I think you mistook the 180F for 180psi.
T&P valves are set at 210F and 150PSI
Apparently some states allow CPVC off the T&P...here we can't use any plastic for at least 24" linear from any heater or boiler.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
I think you mistook the 180F for 180psi.
T&P valves are set at 210F and 150PSI
Apparently some states allow CPVC off the T&P...here we can't use any plastic for at least 24" linear from any heater or boiler.

you're right I made a mistake. In Washington and Oregon I've never been called on the CPVC right off the T&P. both are under the UPC.

Brent

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

In this area the relief drain MUST be 3/4" rigid copper, (no soft copper or flex connectors), because the line has to be a full 3/4" i.d., which CPVC and all plastics are not.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
BAPlumber said:
you're right I made a mistake. In Washington and Oregon I've never been called on the CPVC right off the T&P. both are under the UPC.

Brent

I know...my states a pain in da butt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks