Replacing submersible - Aermotor, Franklin, Myers, Sta-Rite? PVC or metal drop pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Infinity03

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here who doesn't know much about wells or pumps except for what I've been able to read here and elsewhere online. It's time to replace my submersible pump and drop pipe. I've contacted 3 local well companies who I've heard good things about for estimates. All three have recommended different brand pumps (Aermotor, Franklin, Myers, Sta-Rite). From what I've gathered online 3 of the 4 are all made by the same company (Pentair) - does that mean they are all basically the same, or are some worse quality than others? I've read that Franklin makes the best motor, but not so much on the pump - is this true? Also, one of the companies said they would use PVC for the drop pipe and the other two companies said they would use metal pipe - does this matter? Anyway, I would love to hear your thought/opinion on what I should go with. Any advice/education would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Type of pump: Submersible - three wire (Pentek control box)
Size of Pump: Unknown
Motor Horsepower: Guessing 1 HP

Pumping from: Well
Depth of well: ~200
Depth to water: ~84
Drop Pipe Material: Steel

Date Well Drilled: ~1986
Well Casing Material: Unknown
Pressure Tank: No
Pump Start Relay (sprinkler timer, no tank): Yes
Water Used For: Irrigation with timer
Problems Experienced: No water, can feel vibration from top of well - guessing part of pump died and/or leak in drop pipe

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
There seems to be no reason to use steel pipe, with a small pump and short setting. I would use SCH 120 threaded PVC with integral bell end. It's cheaper than steel and a better product for this application since it won't corrode. I use almost exclusively Goulds pumps, and have had good success, but have lately tried F&W elite series that a local distributor has started carrying. They are a little more expensive, but have better pump curves in a lot of applications, are American made, and have Franklin motors.

Infinity03

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Since I don't know what pump is in the well, would me running the sprinkler system on each zone (using city water) and seeing how many gallons are used per minute be a good way to estimate what gpm pump I should go with? The city water is actually operating my sprinklers better than the old well pump was - the heads fully pop up now when before they would only pop up about 75%. I am guessing the city water is giving better pressure than the pump was, possibly because the pump was "dying" and/or a hole in the drop pipe.

Infinity03

Reaction score
I just checked all my zones using the city water supply which is about 60psi and outputs a max of 21gpm. The largest zone (11 pop up heads) was using 16gpm. All the other zones have less heads and are between 8-12gpm. Would I be best of going with a 1hp 20gpm or a 16gpm?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Neither one of those pumps are going to produce 16 GPM at 60 PSI from a water level of 100’. The 16 GPM does better, but will only give you about 12 GPM.

A 1.5 HP, 16 GPM will do 18 GPM at that head.

A 1.5 HP, 20 GPM will also do 18 GPM at that head.

Infinity03

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply valveman. This will only be used for irrigation, from what I've read most sprinkler heads/rotors only needs about 40psi. Does that make a difference?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks for the reply valveman. This will only be used for irrigation, from what I've read most sprinkler heads/rotors only needs about 40psi. Does that make a difference?

Yep. That makes a big difference. The 1 HP will work at 40 PSI. But you said it works at 60 PSI from the city meter. If it was set up to run at 60 PSI, and you only give it 40 PSI, you will have little green circles in the middle of a brown yard, as the sprinkler spray patterns won't reach out far enough.

Infinity03

Reaction score
The system was using well water till recently, so I assume 40psi is all I need - but I don't know for sure. I know it would be ideal to know what size pump is at the bottom of the well, but I don't know that and would like to have everything here so I can get it done in one day. Assuming 40psi is all I need, which would be better for my situation, a 1hp 16gpm or 1hp 20gpm?

Greenmonster304

Reaction score
If you are only starting with 40 psi the heads won't perform well. Rotors are designed to have 45 psi at the head. So if you only have 40psi to start by the time the water gets to the head with all the friction loss through valves, piping, and fittings you will prob have 30-35 psi at the head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks