Replacing sink drains

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Alpinist, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Alpinist

Alpinist New Member

I am grateful for your advice, so thanks for providing this awesome forum!

I have an older Kohler double basin, cast iron sink I'd like to put in my kitchen. Caveat is that one drain is designed for a disposer. Is it possible to replace the stainless steel drain unit with a standard drain like the one on the other side, or should I just get a different sink?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The drain holes on the sink are the same standard size.
  3. Alpinist

Alpinist New Member

But is it possible for me to remove the one already installed in the sink that is for a disposer and replace it with one that is standard? That looks tricky and I'm unsure if I can get it off or not. Not obvious how to remove it. Thanks for any tips if it's possible!
  4. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Alpinist

Alpinist New Member

Thanks Shacko! I figured it out with some fiddling. Turns out mine had a metal ring holding it all together that I was able to remove with a pair of needle nose plyers. Your link worked and was just what might have helped me had I not figured it out earlier.