Replacing Shutoff On Older Trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry_David

Reaction score
Guys mother in law needs her toilet shutoff replaced...it's in a double wide trailer...not sure of the year but I think '95 or so...her toilet was constantly running , so she would use the shut off when not in use, then when it need flushed, valve turn back on...obviously this and the fact that it is an old valve caused it to fail...now she needs me to replace the valve, was needing advice on the best way to fix it...well, best and easier on the pocket..I can handle the repairs but I've never dealt with these in a trailer...also the original problem of toilet constantly leaking, I think might have been a bad flapper valve...she has bought a couple of kits from a big chain store, but the "universal" type are too big or tall to fit this toilet...I took a couple of pics, hope I can add them without needing a certain amount of posts.
Any advice is greatly appreciated...I was thinking shark bite or gator bite , never used one but kinda understand how they work.

Larry_David

Reaction score
I'll get better pics of the fill valves and flapper kits she has bought a while ago

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 177

Larry_David

Reaction score
That's the last one that was installed and it never worked right..the one in the box would work but the ball cock "stem" is too long for these little toilets...so she went with the one that is installed and it never worked right, think it was t adjust properly or something...water would still constantly run..or it could have been the flapper...I don't know I'm getting this second hand and trying to get it done right for her as she is almost 70 and it's the toilet in her master bath..only here a couple more days and I'd like to get it working for her...she has been using a bucket of water to flush

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of toilet does she have? Look and see if there is a name on it somewhere and there should be some numbers under the lid or in the tank.

Last edited:

Larry_David

Reaction score
Thanks for those links...but first I have to get the shut off valve replaced, I don't know how much slack I have in the line until I crawl under the house..but I'm not sure whether I could cut the line and use a shark/gator bite....what kind of valve would be best as far as cost effective, ease of installation, etc..I'm not the best plumber but I am pretty handy so I can handle it...just not gonna be here long and want to get it fixed for her

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks