Replacing shower drain but it it too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Keneye

Reaction score
Gutted 50 year old shower. Bought the Quick Pitch System and 40 mil and thought I was good to go. The issue: the old shower pan is over 2" of concrete. If I install the new drain, it will be over 4 inches high. I am worried that is way to much weight to add that much mortar. The existing drain is a 2" male brass connector. Most new shower drains are slip on PVC. That requires a female PVC to slip on. I see no way to install a new drain short of removing all the previous concrete and starting over. And that is a bummer. The previous pan has not leaked in over 50 years. So I am thinking of just tiling over the pan and calling it a day. Opinions? options? Here is a pic of the pan.

20161123_104520.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Showers are built in a layered manner. When you try to replace just the flooring (like liner only) , there is no way to tie the waterproofing in the walls back into the floor system (the liner). Since part of the shower system has already failed (the drain) the best thing to do is replace everything now.

Break open the concrete (it's really easy with a demo hammer) and inspect and replace the p-tap (at 50 years old it has got to be shot). Then install a "flange" style drain from Kerdi or USG Durock Shower System and waterproof with a "surface applied membrane" - something like the Kerdi fabric or USG Shower System or similar. This fabric membrane also covers the walls (you tile directly on it) and then everything is tied together properly.

Spend the time and money to do it right now and it will last another 50 years. Just patch it up now, and you'll be doing it again in 5 years. IMO.

Keneye

Reaction score
Showers are built in a layered manner. When you try to replace just the flooring (like liner only) , there is no way to tie the waterproofing in the walls back into the floor system (the liner). Since part of the shower system has already failed (the drain) the best thing to do is replace everything now.

Break open the concrete (it's really easy with a demo hammer) and inspect and replace the p-tap (at 50 years old it has got to be shot). Then install a "flange" style drain from Kerdi or USG Durock Shower System and waterproof with a "surface applied membrane" - something like the Kerdi fabric or USG Shower System or similar. This fabric membrane also covers the walls (you tile directly on it) and then everything is tied together properly.

Spend the time and money to do it right now and it will last another 50 years. Just patch it up now, and you'll be doing it again in 5 years. IMO.
Thanks. Of course, you are right. Time to bite the bullet and do it right. Thanks for the reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks