replacing shower body--what does "supply building with main shutoff valve" mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

dayexday

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question. So as written above I'm replacing my shower body and the building sent me an email that when i replace the shower body I need to "supply the building with a main shutoff valves for your bathroom". What does this mean? I thought the valve goes inside the wall. I don't know what I'm supposed to supply them with. I asked the super to clarify but he doesn't speak english that well.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The building does not like to have to turn of the water to everyone just so you can work on your plumbing.....not your fault because it was built that way. They are asking you at the time of your remodel work to install an accessible valve(s) to turn off the water to your bathroom. From a practical standpoint, that may not be possible, but for sure you should purchase a shower valve which has hot and cold stops built in. That allows it to be serviced without turning off the building. Your sink and toilet already have individual valves, presumably.

u.s.coins

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question. So as written above I'm replacing my shower body and the building sent me an email that when i replace the shower body I need to "supply the building with a main shutoff valves for your bathroom". What does this mean? I thought the valve goes inside the wall. I don't know what I'm supposed to supply them with. I asked the super to clarify but he doesn't speak english that well.

...i think they are worried that you're going to shut off everybody's water to the building. if you have shut offs for this fixture, of course no problem. that's how i read it anyway. hth

dayexday

Reaction score
i bought a shower valve with stops so that next time I can turn off water without building doing it. Is that what they're referring to? So the building doesn't "keep" anything? It sounded like they wanted me to give them something physical.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are asking for shut off valves for the hot and cold water TO your unit, so ANY work in it can be done without turning off the entire building. Your sinks and toilet should have individual shutoffs, BUT when THEY have to be replaced, and it happens frequently, they do NOT want to shuf off the entire building again. Depending on HOW the piping is arranged, a single pair of hot and cold valves may NOT satisfy their request.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks