Replacing recessed cans

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
For some reason - and I have a feeling this was/is code - my kitchen has a bunch of recessed lights that take screw-in floodlights and then right in the middle, two recessed lights that take "pin" florescent "sticks".

We've now changed out every bulb in our house to a CFL, including the floods... and the florescent "sticks" flicker every time we turn them on. I've replaced those bulbs with new ones to see if the problem was the bulbs, but the new ones flickered just like the old ones.

I would love to be able to replace the cans for those recessed lights and replace them with ones that take the screw-in floods, and put CFLs in them.

Not sure the best way to go about this - how complicated a job this is - etc. etc.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We need more information here.

Do you mean they flicker when you first turn them on, and then stop? If so live with it.

Or flicker all the time when they are on?

Or flicker when the switch is off?

I have a feeling it might be your wall switch. If you are using a dimmer they might flicker when they are on (assuming the other CFLs are dimmable). And if your wall switch has a light in it (like an LED) most fluorescent bulbs will flicker when they are off unless used with ordinary incandescent bulbs. The LED or light in the switch draws a small amount of current you see.

So give us more info.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the cans are remodel cans, you can usually pop them out easily. If they were new construction cans, they could be a lot harder to remove. The can may have a ballast that is failing.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Yeah, I was told that the ones with pins the ballast is in the ceiling can. So if you get flicker, you have to change out the recessed can :(

I no longer use cans like these

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure the best way to go about this - how complicated a job this is - etc. etc.

I don't think it would be too hard. Every situation is different, but if they are new work cans usually you can drop the can by removing the screws you can see up inside the can. You'll need a small screwdriver. Once the can is removed you are still left with the frame. The jbox is on the frame so disconnect the wires to the old can. Now for the (not so) fun part. The frame won't fit back down through the hole. The good news is the adjustable tracks the cans are installed on are pretty flimsy so with a little bit of effort you should be able to break them and push the old frame out of you way or if your really ambitious you may be able to cut it up with tin snips and pull it back out of the hole. Be careful of the existing wiring. Your likely going to need every inch of it. Make sure the old wire will reach the new remodel can before destroying anything. You may also find you need to carefully remove the last wire staple to give yourself enough slack when inserting the remodel can.

If the are remodel cans it should be a piece of cake.

Good Luck!
-rick

Last edited:

dhla

Reaction score
They flicker when they go on and then they stop flickering, but they flicker for about 10 seconds when they go on.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Bright effects - Lowes - 13w, no mention of not using it in a recessed can

NVision - HD - same

GE 15w (30) floodlight - no restriction

Sylvania (13w) is the only one that indicated not to use it in a recessed can

All state not to use it on a dimmer, or for emergency exit signs

So check the CFL packaging
But if I had a choice between a 13w CFL floodlight & a 60/65w reg I'd go with the CFL regardless
As long as they only flicker briefly when turned on I'd leave them
But here the screw in type are juch cheaper (free sometimes) VS $5 for the pin type

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Interesting that it doesn't include tube lights in recessed cans
Despite the fact that they are sold
Our kitchen has 4 recessed pin lights
They have been working great for years
They do indicate to read the Mfg package for specific use

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the CFL bulbs state an orientation (i.e., base down only). So, that would preclude them from a can and other fixtures as well...you must read the whole description of allowable uses.

dhla

Reaction score
Just to be clear in my situation - I have CFL flood lights (screw-in) in about 12 different recessed lights... no problem. None are on a dimmer, for the record.

The florescent stick (with pin) were obviously made to go into those cans, and those are the ones that flicker... and I would like to replace.

I'm use TCP CFL floods (non-dimmable) with good results. TCP makes the nVision brand that HD sells. I have not had good luck with the brand Feit in general... their CFLs seem to be of lower quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks