Replacing old porcelain spout - help! So suddenly I

Users who are viewing this thread

jlebeau

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, I know almost nothing about plumbing. I'm just a poor homeowner with a bathtub problem.

Here's the deal:

Until yesterday, I had a loose fitting porcelain tub spout that was just sort of resting on the pipe that comes out of the wall. It had been that way for a few months and I just never got around to dealing with it. But yesterday the porcelain spout slipped off the pipe and broke in a dozen pieces.

I now have a 4 1/4" inch long 3/4" galvanized pipe with no threads sticking out of the wall. I'd like to replace the spout with another porcelain one. If I can't do that, I'll settle for something else.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I going to be able to find any spout to fit what I have? It looks like most slip on spouts (the kind I assume I'd need) require a much shorter pipe.

2. Am I going to be able to find a porcelain spout? And if I do, what holds it on? My now broken one seemed like it was never really installed properly. I'm guessing it was repaired along the way and just sort of glued to the tile.

3. Is this what I need?

http://www.deabath.com/Ceramic/ceramicbath/ceramicbath.htm

Thank you in advance.

Josh

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may need to either try to replace that galvanized stub (the spout you found needs to screw onto the pipe), or possibly replace it with a reducer and maybe a brass or copper stub, then use a standard slip on chromed spout, or use a threaded nipple and screw on one.

The biggest potential gotcha I see is the pipe that does stick out...when you try to remove it, the guts in the wall might move and create leaks you can't see. I'd want to have access back there which might mean tearing up the wall from behind, or at the worst case, the tile on the front. You may get it out of there, redoped and taped, then a new one screwed in in 5-minutes, or it could be a real pain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks