Replacing old p trap - new vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

wolfpacknc

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am remodeling my bathroom. I purchased a new vanity that has exposed plumbing. I need to replace my existing drain connection with something that
1. fits the new 5/4" p-trap horizontal pipe
2. is chrome and can use a trim ring to cover the hole in the wall.

The problem is that this is a fairly old house and the current drain line is 7/4" and connects to in the wall to something that looks about 3" in diameter. <see pic>

I tried to remove the entire pipe that sticks out from the wall and it wont budge. I am able to slide the nut back towards the wall.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have exposed plumbing you need to get that nipple out. Try using a bigger pipe wrench or sometimes I slide a two to three foot section of pipe over the handle to get more leverage.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot judge the sizes properly from the picture, but it looks to me that you have a 1-1/4" trap adapter screwed onto a 1-1/2" pipe nipple.

It will probably unscrew given enough pressure, but you could crack the cast iron pipe in the wall. This is something you have to have a feel for.

Last edited:

wolfpacknc

Reaction score
The male coupler that protrudes from the wall is actually 1-3/4. I've soaked it down with pb blaster and still can't get it out. I used a 16" pipe wrench, so I guess I'll try a pipe extension on that to get more leverage.

So, assuming I can get this thing out what sort of adapter can I use. Can I get a pvc pipe to screw into the cast iron and reduce down to 1-1/4? The part that screws into the cast iron has a fine thread while the other end is a coarse thread. I haven't been able to find anything yet. But I'll probably need to try a specialty store when they re-open Monday. Can I find a p trap horizontal pipe that will go right into the cast iron connector in the wall?

thanks for the replies!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Every trade has "inside lingo"! We do not refer to pipes ad 5/4 etc like lumber. Also, we refer to pipes by the ID ( inside diameter). SO that pipe you call 1 3/4 is a 1½ pipe. It will help you immensely when you go shopping at a plumbing store if you can pick up a little on the lingo! They will know what you are talking about, and they will think YOU also know what you are talking about. If you walk in asking for a widget for a 1 3/4" pipe, it won't go well from there!

Just a helpful tip!

Browse the forum threads....we always try to use correct terminology, and WE don't mind if you ask questions when you don't understand!

Plastic pipes are rarely threaded, but fittings are. IF you can get out the galv. nipple, you could screw in a male PVC adapter and then glue in a street trap adapter 1½ to 1 1/4". This would shorten it all up a little.

For a picture of the two fittings I just mentioned, go to this PDF http://www.nibco.com/assets/plasticfit.pdf
see 4804 page 14 and 4801-2-7-C on page 12.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are going to install chrome plated brass or similar trap, everything you have there is already properly sized.

If you can get it out you could install a shorter nipple, but if removing that nipple is a problem, it could be covered by getting creative with a deep chrome or brass escutcheon.

wolfpacknc

Reaction score
My ignorance has been revealed :). This is my first home and I'm trying to fix it up a little. We all gotta start somewhere I suppose. Thanks Jimbo! Those fittings look perfect. I had no idea what to put there even if I got the nipple out.

@cacher_chick, thanks. I'll try my local plumbing supply store when they open Monday.

I'm gonna try more to get that nipple out today.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you remove that 1 1/2" nipple without breaking the cast iron tee, then you need a brass MALE 1 1/2"x1 1/4" DeSanko/Marvel/trap adapter (whichever they call it where you live). Screw it into the tee and connect your trap.

wolfpacknc

Reaction score
OK I got the adapter off. Now all I have is the nipple
2011-04-24_11-28-02_6_800x598.jpg

If I try to remove this nipple then I will tear the threads up, so I am hesitant to try this. I guess I need to find an adapter that will mate the 1-1/4 trap adapter.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can use just the nipple. Just use a standard P trap, it will fit inside the nipple then use a lock nut and washer on the nipple.

John

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are up to doing some cutting, getting the nipple out shouldn't be too bad.

If you can't find a deep enough escutcheon, it's gonna need to come out if you want to hide it.

Otherwise, you just need a new trap adapter, some of which is what you just removed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I guess I need to find an adapter that will mate the 1-1/4 trap adapter.

You HAD one, it was the brass piece you removed. There would be NO reason to reinstall the same thing. There are lots of ways to remove the nipple and you do not have to worry about the threads on the end of it. BUT, I would put the brass piece back on it first so the nipple does NOT crush and jam in the cast iron tee. In fact, it may NOT be a tee, but rather a cast iron elbow which would NOT break under pressure.

Last edited:

wolfpacknc

Reaction score
^ I meant find a smaller adapter that can still be covered by an escutcheon, but I realize I didn't make that clear.

So at this point, I can cover the nipple + nut connection with a 1-1/4 escutcheon I found at home depot. So can I just slide the tailpipe into the nipple and use a 1-1/2 zinc nut and 1-1/4 washer? I was able to fit this together at home depot, looked fine to me, but not sure if that's considered OK.
Thanks

IMG_20110424_154019_800x598.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It would work better if you used a 1-1/2 trap with the 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 washer on the tail piece from the sink.

John

wolfpacknc

Reaction score
OK I finally tried and got the nipple out. I think know what needs to be done now. Thanks for your help everyone.

When connecting the new brass desanko do I just use some teflon tape?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks