Replacing old metal basement windows

Users who are viewing this thread

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Damn. What a nut. That's sounds very abnormal to me. Something was definitely up. Good thing you didn't let him in to use the phone. Who know what he had on his mind.

I would go with sliders. I hate hoppers. They don't feel open enough. The shape that you have would work better for sliders too.

Windows around here cost about $300 including installation and removal of the old window.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks GabeS. Sliders it is then! Hoppers would have caused other problems (rain when open; difficult to put blinds behind because they open in).

They just cost a little more, but I'll live with that.

Pigrew

Reaction score
I replaced similar windows in my house. I first measured the width and the height of the existing opening in the wall. When I ordered the windows from *******, I gave them this as the rough opening size. They subtracted a quarter inch from each side. The top of the opening was the house's sill plate, and the other three sides were cement block. I removed the old window with a pry-bar. Next, I used wood shims to level the window. I then put expanding foam (Great Stuff(R)) around it to hold it in place. I trimmed that once it was dry, and finished with some silcone caulk in the exterior and some paintable caulk in the interior. The installation probably took two hours for my window.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks