Replacing old metal basement windows

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Ian Gills, Apr 5, 2009.

1. GabeS

GabeS Remodel Contractor

Damn. What a nut. That's sounds very abnormal to me. Something was definitely up. Good thing you didn't let him in to use the phone. Who know what he had on his mind.

I would go with sliders. I hate hoppers. They don't feel open enough. The shape that you have would work better for sliders too.

Windows around here cost about $300 including installation and removal of the old window.
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Thanks GabeS. Sliders it is then! Hoppers would have caused other problems (rain when open; difficult to put blinds behind because they open in).

They just cost a little more, but I'll live with that.
  3. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Well, the first window is in!
  4. Romney's offshore banker

Romney's offshore banker New Member

details

Well done- I was hoping you could post all the details of how you extracted the frame (& how you anchored the new window), because I'm facing the same job.
  5. Jeciii1977

Jeciii1977 New Member

I also was wounder how long it took to do one. I have 2 I would like to do in the near future. Thanks to all for the details on the matter.
  6. pigrew

pigrew New Member

I replaced similar windows in my house. I first measured the width and the height of the existing opening in the wall. When I ordered the windows from *******, I gave them this as the rough opening size. They subtracted a quarter inch from each side. The top of the opening was the house's sill plate, and the other three sides were cement block. I removed the old window with a pry-bar. Next, I used wood shims to level the window. I then put expanding foam (Great Stuff(R)) around it to hold it in place. I trimmed that once it was dry, and finished with some silcone caulk in the exterior and some paintable caulk in the interior. The installation probably took two hours for my window.