Replacing Old Kitchen Faucet - Putty or Silicone

Users who are viewing this thread

Morgana Rue

Reaction score
My old faucet was filthy. After I cleaned it, it began leaking terribly. Truly one of those times where the dirt was holding it together. (Literally, a crack in a sleeve inside was filled with hard water deposits which kept it from leaking) I've temporarily fixed it with some gorilla glue and by letting the deposits build back up, believe it or not, but I know it needs to be replaced. I've replaced a few faucets in the past, but they all had rubber gaskets and no sealant was required.

To replace this faucet, I bought a Pfister "Shelton". (Single mom on a tight budget here) The thing is, the faucet came with a two piece deck plate. The chrome piece and a hard plastic piece that sits under it. The man at Lowes told me that silicone was all I needed. The instructions say to use plumber's putty. I have both. But the instructions didn't specify as to what type of putty. (Regular or Stain Free)

After reading multiple forums from multiple sites, I still can't decide which I should use. On one side is the argument that the putty will destroy the plastic because it is petroleum based and silicone is the ONLY thing to use. On the other side is the argument that they've used the putty for ___ years and NEVER had a problem so putty is the ONLY thing to use.

I've read some pretty heated discussions on this topic, so I DO NOT want to start an argument with this. (Please) What would be great is if you could share your experiences using putty and silicone. Which was easier in your opinion? Have you ever removed a faucet with a plastic deck plate on which putty had been used? Did the plastic crumble? If I ever have to change the faucet again, which is easier to deal with? If I need to stick to silicone, is the type I have okay? It's GE Kitchen/Bath/Plumbing 100% Silicone, Clear. If I need to stick to putty, is they type I have okay? It's Oatey brand. Just regular, basic, plumber's putty.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a stone or granite countertop, then regular putty is out. Silicone or Stainless putty. If you are mounting on porcelain, stainless or other non-pouress, then putty is fine.
I don't think the plastic cares which you use.
Frankly, if the plate is flush with the counter or sink, I often install without anything. I think most of that stuff is messy. If you do use a sealant, make sure it's not very much, and just a very thin coating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks