Replacing old 3 Handle PF Tub n Shower Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Desert Shower

Reaction score
All,
I've ordered a Delta Tub and Shower Combination Model #T17478-SS along with the R10000-UNWS valve to replace the existing arrangement. Trim and valve are a week out on delivery, and I'm about 2 weeks out on doing the project in an occasionally used shower. The fixture wall will be entirely exposed during this process.

My question, after further reading the install manual and related documents refers to the tub spout and attached lift up diverter. Manual for the tub spout says to refer to installation instruction in the box which, well I do not have yet.

This will be a connection to 1/2" sweated copper, but am more interested the default position (assuming down of a lift up diverter) is the water directed to the tub, or to the shower head. Would prefer it to be to shower head as though occasionally used, is most always used as a shower, with occasional tub fill requirements, and would prefer simply to turn on the shower and not to fumble/flip/lift a device to do so.

My thought, if the diverter requires lifting up to direct water to the shower head, then perhaps a separate diverter valve could be installed at a more convenient height than atop the tub spout.

Always appreciate the professional wisdom, insight, and ideas this site holds.

Best,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The diverter spout ALWAYS defaults to the tub flow position. The Delta diverter spout may be a "pull down" for shower but it will still run to the tub first, which is what the majority of people prefer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you add a diverter valve, you would normally use a simple tub spout (i.e., one without a built-in diverter. Unless you're opting for one of the thermostatically controlled valves, there's some advantage to running it to the tub spout first with a built-in diverter...first, that allows the shower's vertical riser to drain in between showers, you can adjust the outlet temp before stepping into or under the shower, and while the empty pipe will initially cool the first water through it, you won't have a big slug of cold room-temperature (or interior wall, which could be a lot colder) water in the pipe coming out at you. On many of the rough-in valves, you only use one port and plug the other one. One of them is typically smaller, and is used for a shower only mode. The other is larger, and is typically used for both the tub or the shower. Delta's pull-down tub spout diverter has a spring that moves it back to spout only mode when the water pressure is removed rather than allowing gravity to do it for them. It's a little bit cleaner looking than an knob sitting there on top of the spout.

three-handle-terrylove-03.jpg

three-handle-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks