Replacing Main Water Supply Line

Users who are viewing this thread

lambofan

Reaction score
Got a quote of $2,000 to replace 80ft galvanized main line that is 50 years old.

I priced Pex at the big box stores - it was $100 for 100 ft. - So now I'm thinking I can rent a trencher and do it myself for a lot less - just some digging and 2 connections - right?....

I have some questions - of course:

1. Current galv is 1" OD which I think means it's 3/4" ID. So what size Pex should I use? The connection at the mains looks to be about 1 1/4". It looks like I have 1/2" copper in my house where the current galv connects.

2. There appear to many types of Pex - any recommendations? (I'm in Tennessee - been told to bury it at least 18" deep).

3. Connections - is it better to use the flexibleness of the Pex and dig a curved radius where I need to make a 90 degree turn - or should I use a 90 degree connection?

4. I'm thinking that to avoid digging up a walkway I will bring the line in at the end of my house. This will mean it will enter my crawlspace and be exposed for about 25ft before I connect to the new pressure regulator and copper. Besides insulating it well for those 25 feet - any comments on this idea?

5. Current line appears to go somewhat straight across my yard to my house. Because of trees, septic tank, possible old fill lines and the walkway - I'm thinking I will go parallel across my yard for 40ft (right along my front fence line) and then come towards the house - any comments on this idea?

Appreciate everyones assistance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How many bathrooms do you have?

A one bath home can use 3/4"
Two baths require 1"
PEX is smaller then Poly, so using 1" PEX is more like running 3/4" poly.

Water pipe sizing

pipe_size_1.jpg

pipe_size_2.jpg

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
3. flexibleness

4. Besides insulating it well for those 25 feet - any comments on this idea?

Insulating the line wont accomplish anything unless you heat trace it as well. Insulation doesn't create heat it just slows loss.

lambofan

Reaction score
How many bathrooms do you have?

A one bath home can use 3/4"
Two baths require 1"
PEX is smaller then Poly, so using 1" PEX is more like running 3/4" poly.

We have 3 bathrooms. House is run with 1/2" copper.

So should I go with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" PEX?

lambofan

Reaction score
Insulating the line wont accomplish anything unless you heat trace it as well. Insulation doesn't create heat it just slows loss.

I don't think here in Tennessee we use "heat trace".

All my other lines are just wrapped in basic pipe insulation - never had a problem in 10 years - and we have had some cold winters.

My concern is this is the main supply line - currently it's 2ft plus under ground - untill it comes up in the crawl space and connects to the copper lines. Will have the main supply line exposed under the crawl space for 25 feet be an issue.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have dig-alert service in your area? It is required by law in some places. If you dig a gas line or a phone or electric line, you are on the hook for some big $$$$$$$

lambofan

Reaction score
Do you have dig-alert service in your area? It is required by law in some places. If you dig a gas line or a phone or electric line, you are on the hook for some big $$$$$$$

Yep - they came out when we put up a fence. Older neighborhood - phone, power and cable are all in the air. Gas line is by the street and we are not connected to it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Some of the old PRV's can have the guts removed from the top, and thats your first and very cheap test solution.

160psi black poly should be a first choice in the dirt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks