replacing main, expansion loop?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Seattle38, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

I'm in Bothell, WA, currently replacing the main between the meter and house. I plan to use type L soft copper, probably sleeved with some closed cell foam.

The run is about 70ish feet, with a couple of bends; up a rise and around the foundation. Is an expansion loop necessary? or will the bends take up any expansion and contraction?

Any recommendations on a place to get a 100 foot roll of type L soft at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I wouldn't put in an expansion loop.......

Not sure where to buy the copper down there but you'll probably end up paying $450-$500 for 100' of type 'L' soft copper while you'd pay about $100 for 100' of 3/4" pex....
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I would go with 1" PVC. 3/4" copper over that much distance will lose too much pressure and flow due to friction, and 3/4" PEX is smaller inside diameter than copper so the loss would be even greater.
  4. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

If his PRV is in the house and he has high pressure going through his main line then he shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  5. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

I would use PE
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Under 100', I would use copper since it does not need joints like PVC would. No comment on using PEX, because I would not.
  7. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

I've looked into all the options; I don't want any joints and I don't want plastic. The wife has a wicked sense of taste and the last thing I need after installing a new main is "babe, the water tastes funny."
    Avoiding that is worth the extra $$. I plan on using 1", not 3/4.

Now, just trying to figure out how to best protect the pipe from rocks and roots etc. I plan to wrap it with closed cell insulation and bed the main in sand. Any other thoughts??

I think I found a pretty good deal online for 100' of one inch type L, $385

http://kscdirect.com/item/L+COIL+1X100/JOHN+M+FREY+COMPANY_1+X+100+FT+COIL+TYPE+L+COPPER+TUBE%0A