Replacing Leaky Tub Faucets... need help

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ItsMyLife, Apr 6, 2008.

1. ItsMyLife

ItsMyLife New Member

Hi,

I'd like to replace the hot and cold faucets in our bathtub/shower as they are pretty old, unsightly and leak out of both the handle and spicket when off.

I'm not sure what brand they are as there are no markings of any sort that I can tell. I was able to get the handles off after using penetrating oil and a shower handle puller tool. It only took a few hours!

Now, I'm not sure what to do... the chrome sleeve won't turn by hand... I guess I need to use channel locks to get that off. Counter clockwise to get that off?

Also, I've included a picture (with handles on)... if anyone can tell what brand it is that would be great but they look pretty generic to me.

[​IMG]

Also, this tub has no access panel.... the kitchen is on the other side of the wall for some unknown reason. Will I be able to replace these faucets on my own with some guidance or will I have to call a plumber.

Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

There is no such thing as a "generic" faucet. ALL of them are proprietary and the only way to upgrade them without replacing the portion in the wall is to find the manufacturer and see if they make the new parts you want for your make and model. Those handles are unique enough that if they are the original ones someone may recognize them. I have misplaced my stem/handle catalog so I cannot look yours up.
  3. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

The engraved H and C look very Delta-like. But I know nothing about faucet brands.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

The flanges do also, but the spout doesn't. The shape of the handles and/or the stems would be a better identifier.
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

My old Delta spout used to look like that.