Replacing lavatory drain pipe.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by VernK, Oct 16, 2010.

1. VernK

VernK New Member

Starting our bathroom reno, and high on the list is replacing the iron pipe drain from the lav to the waste stack. The current pipe drains very slow, and being 50 years old I'm worried that cleaning it is an invitation for problems. So I have a two part question:

First, the run is about 50 inches, all 11/2", sloped properly and is made up of a 90 at the wall, the run to the stack another 90 and then a 6" long nipple into the tee of the waste stack. Is that OK, or could it be part of the reason it has plugged up? I've read something to the effect that you are only allowed 135 degrees of bends. This is kind of moot actually, as I've no interest in fixing the stack so a 45 could be used instead of the final 90, but I'd like to know.

Second part of the question is can I make the replacement up of enough pieces so I can feed it between the 3 wall studs the pipe passed through and glue them together? Or is that bad form?

Yours
    Vern
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can couple the pipes.
    If I don't want to couple, I bend the plastic pipe, sometimes using a 2x4 and a hammer to bang it through, then cut a nice clean end before gluing.