Replacing lavatory drain pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

VernK

Reaction score
Starting our bathroom reno, and high on the list is replacing the iron pipe drain from the lav to the waste stack. The current pipe drains very slow, and being 50 years old I'm worried that cleaning it is an invitation for problems. So I have a two part question:

First, the run is about 50 inches, all 11/2", sloped properly and is made up of a 90 at the wall, the run to the stack another 90 and then a 6" long nipple into the tee of the waste stack. Is that OK, or could it be part of the reason it has plugged up? I've read something to the effect that you are only allowed 135 degrees of bends. This is kind of moot actually, as I've no interest in fixing the stack so a 45 could be used instead of the final 90, but I'd like to know.

Second part of the question is can I make the replacement up of enough pieces so I can feed it between the 3 wall studs the pipe passed through and glue them together? Or is that bad form?

Yours
Vern

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can couple the pipes.
If I don't want to couple, I bend the plastic pipe, sometimes using a 2x4 and a hammer to bang it through, then cut a nice clean end before gluing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks