Replacing galvanized waste pipe going into slab

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Glen, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Glen

Glen New Member

I have an older galvanized drain pipe (2") that is in good condition except for the few inches above where it goes into the basement slab floor. Underneath that it would eventually tie into cast iron. A flood long ago must have caused the galvanized to rust in that area and not above. Is there anyway I can cut the pipe flush with the slab and replace about 3' going up? I would not know how to make the connection at the bottom end. Thanks.
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

pipe

Unless the pipe is rotten, you possibly could cut it off above the floor and remove it. The 2" should be immediately screwed in to cast iron just under the slab. A short handled three pound sledge and a 2' pipe wrench may be all you need.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

It will be caulked into the cast iron under the floor not screwed. And unless the concrete is broken away from around the pipe it is not going to turn anyway.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Where I come from there were a lot of 3" x 2" or 3" x 1 1/2" tapped cast iron ells in leaded joints and I've stripped the old pipe out more than once......

We also used 2" or 1 1/2" cast iron reducers that were leaded into a 3" cast iron fitting under the slab.

What ever will work, I just thought I throw that out as a possibility.