Replacing fluorescent fixture with incandescent

Users who are viewing this thread

caseydawnlynn

Reaction score
Hi...this is my first post so if I break any rules I apologize in advance!

I'm renovating my sons' bedrooms and wanted to switch out the fluorescent fixtures for incandescent. I put up the new fixtures in our basement and it was very straightforward. When I took the old fixtures down it was not straightforward. I found 4 cables coming into the box so I have 4 black wires twisted together. 4 white wires twisted together. 4 grounds twisted together. And 1 red. The old fixture was connected white to white bundle. Red to black. Black bundle capped in junction box. Grounds capped in junction boxes.

At the switch there are 2 cables. The grounds are grounded to the screw in the plastic switch box then capped. Whites are capped. 2 Blacks connected to the bottom of the switch. Red connected to the top of the switch.

I've attached pictures to hopefully help make things clearer.

These are my concerns:
1) Can I just hook up the new fixture and carry on? I assume that if I hook up the new light fixture the same as the old it will continue to work just fine. Am I right to assume that?
2) How do I deal with the groundwires? Do I just connect the ground from the new fixture to the green screw or do I put it in the capped bundle?
3) I had intended to reuse the florescent fixtures in the garage but discovered black goo inside of one when I took it down. What on earth is the black goo? Does it mean the fixture is shot?

Attachments

• 1478795789800-1609224368.jpg
    1478795789800-1609224368.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 1478795846820-1206802576.jpg
    1478795846820-1206802576.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 1478795885651354485634.jpg
    1478795885651354485634.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 1478796012217-1707609992.jpg
    1478796012217-1707609992.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been replacing fluorescent with LED lighting. It's better light, and uses almost no electricity to run them. They last almost forever too.

caseydawnlynn

Reaction score
I've been replacing fluorescent with LED lighting. It's better light, and uses almost no electricity to run them. They last almost forever too.
I'll put led bulbs in the new fixture. I just really hate flourescent lighting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Red is usually the switched hot, so at the light, you'd need to connect the common ground point, the common neutral (white) bundle, and the red lead becomes the supply (hot) when you close the switch (would go to the fixture's black lead).

Most florescent fixtures use a ballast transformer...if it overheats, it can melt some of the tar used to encase the transformer windings (it helps keep things in place, and helps to stop vibrations). It may continue to work, but indicates it may not last all that much longer. Often, they start to smell nasty once they've gotten things hot enough to melt stuff. Once you recognize that smell, you can use it as a signal that you need to replace things before it gets worse and starts to smoke and make a real mess.

caseydawnlynn

Reaction score
Red is usually the switched hot, so at the light, you'd need to connect the common ground point, the common neutral (white) bundle, and the red lead becomes the supply (hot) when you close the switch (would go to the fixture's black lead).

Most florescent fixtures use a ballast transformer...if it overheats, it can melt some of the tar used to encase the transformer windings (it helps keep things in place, and helps to stop vibrations). It may continue to work, but indicates it may not last all that much longer. Often, they start to smell nasty once they've gotten things hot enough to melt stuff. Once you recognize that smell, you can use it as a signal that you need to replace things before it gets worse and starts to smoke and make a real mess.
Thanks so much! I will be sure to toss the melting fixture!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks