Replacing Flourescent Ballast

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Malibu Jim, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Malibu Jim

Malibu Jim New Member

The prevous owner had some flourescent lights hard wired in the closets of our home. These light assemblies are about 42" long and contain 2 ea F13T5 bulbs, about 20" long. They are giving out and replacing the bulbs doesn't help, so it must be the ballasts! Tried to buy the ballasts locally, to no avail, so I ordered some off the internet. The orig ballasts have a p/n E2813NP on them, Electronic Ballast, for (2)F8T5 and/or F13T5 lamps. There are blk & wh power wires exiting the case, along with 4 red & 4 blue wires for the flour. lamps. The ballast I received is a solid state electronic ballast, for T5, T8 & 2x F21T5 lamps. The sales slip accompaning them says Fulham Workhorse long case ballast, WH2-120-L, operates (2) F13 T5 lamps. But, other than the B&W power wires, there are 2 red and 1 yellow wire exiting the case. While the old ballasts have a wiring diag on the case, the new ones don't, and I'm at a loss as to how to wire them.:mad:
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The new ballast should come with a wiring diagram. You may need to reconfigure the wiring to the tombstones.

Here are the instructions:
    Diagrams for T5 Linear with a bulb set 2xF13

Diagram 1 for Workhorse 2 Diagram 1 for Workhorse 4 Diagram 1 for WHAM 2 Diagram 1 for Longhorse 2 Diagram 1 for Longhorse 4 [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. Malibu Jim

Malibu Jim New Member

Thanks. The ballasts came w/o any schematic, but I should've thought :)about checking the mfg web site.
    Thanks again
  4. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Just curious if they are required on residential...
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

code

The specification states for non-residential use.
  7. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

(G) Disconnecting Means.
    (1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.

I don't think so
  8. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

This is true.....
  9. jwelectric

But still a good idea in my opinion
  10. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Just curious....with respect to this disconnect plug, and the code, would all the following fall under the "residential" defintion:

apartment building ( small ones. multistory ones.)
    hotel rooms
    office, lobby, or public spaces in hotel
    laundry room at a condo complex
    a house now permitted as a 6-person assisted living facility.

Just want to have a feel about how broad the application of this code section is.
  11. jwelectric

In NC these would be commercial buildings and the disconnect for lights with ballast would require a disconnect