Replacing expansion tank on waterheater?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by gabby, Oct 12, 2011.

  1. gabby

    gabby New Member

    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    s.c.
    Need to replace expansion tank on water heater. What do I need to do first besides cut valve off to expansion tank? The tank is full of water an laying over on its side. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Messages:
    7,341
    Location:
    Yakima WA
    All you should have to do is turn off the water supply going to the expansion tank. The tank attaches to the water line with a screw adapter, so when you have the water off, you just unscrew the tank. Care, it will be heavy because it will be full of water. The new tank screws on the adapter and that's all there is to it except for making any pressure changes to the tank to match the PRV setting.
  3. ballvalve

    ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

    Messages:
    3,261
    Location:
    northfork, california
    If its been full of water for along time and your T&P valve is not leaking, I would cut it off and throw it away forever.
  4. LLigetfa

    LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

    Messages:
    3,933
    Location:
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Full may be a relative term. Perhaps it's 90% full and the remaining 10% is saving the day.
  5. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Messages:
    21,948
    Location:
    New England
    Let's not start this controversy again...IF you need an expansion tank by code for your specific conditions, install a new one. Those conditions are: a closed system (created either by a PRV or a check valve) or your local code requires one regardless. If you don't have a closed system, unless your local code requires one anyway (some do), then and only then, should you consider eliminating it. IF the system needs one by code or specific conditions, not having a working one puts constant stresses on your water supply system, decreasing the life of things. It is cheap insurance.
  6. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Messages:
    7,341
    Location:
    Yakima WA
    I concur complete with jadnashua. I learned about thermal expansion tanks after I installed a PRV. Suddenly, my T/P valve was discharging water every time the water heater kicked on. I replaced the T/P (twice) and still have the problem. When I came to the forum with the problem and was advised to get a thermal expansion tank. I got one, installed it, and end of problem. Last time I checked, they cost about $50. If you can sweat a joint, they are simple to install. Just be certain it is well supported.
  7. gabby

    gabby New Member

    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    s.c.
    Hey Thanks, I appreciate it very much. Sounds simple, just not want to mess anything up.
  8. gabby

    gabby New Member

    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    s.c.
    Actually I picked one up at HD for $60.00 an got it home but it was larger than the one on the tank so I took it back today an got the right size for $38.95. I have a 80gal water heater so I did not think this was high at all. I plan on installing it tomorrow. Thank for all the help from both of you.
  9. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Messages:
    21,948
    Location:
    New England
    The expansion tank should be sized by the WH and the volume of the lines modified by the temperature differential from the inlet to the outlet. It may be that the old one was too small. This will cause it to fail earlier since it would require the bladder to stretch further with each cycle. Watts has a sizing calculator on their website...you may want to check that out even if you use a different brand.
Similar Threads: Replacing expansion
Forum Title Date
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Replacing Thermal Expansion Tank Apr 12, 2010
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Replacing Thermal Expansion Tank Feb 7, 2009
Water Heater Forum, Tanks replacing a gas heater, braided cold water inlet hose Aug 24, 2014
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Replacing two independent water heaters with one new hybrid water heater? May 8, 2014
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Replacing Drain Valve with Ball Valve Jan 9, 2014

Share This Page