Replacing Drum Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Chappie

Reaction score
While connecting a shower drain, I knocked a fitting loose on a drum trap that the shower drain was connected to. I had a plumber tell me he would replace it for $400, but if I understand what's involved, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard. Here's a diagram of the current build:

Shower Drain --------------Drum Trap-------------Toilet/Main Sewer Line------------Vent

Can someone confirm that all I have to do is put a P-trap between the Shower Drain and the Main sewer line?

The drum trap is (was) connected to the main and the shower drain with rubber sleeves and screw down clamps. I know this is sub-optimal, and is why I was able to easily knock it loose.

Thanks in advance.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If there are any other fixture drains connected to the "main sewer line" upstream, it cannot be used as the vent. A real diagram of the existing DWV system would enable us to give you more information.

Chappie

Reaction score
If there are any other fixture drains connected to the "main sewer line" upstream, it cannot be used as the vent. A real diagram of the existing DWV system would enable us to give you more information.

There is only one other branch off of the main sewer line and it goes straight to what appears to be the vent. At any rate it's a 5" pipe that goes up through the walls and eventually gets piped down to a 2" pipe out of the roof. It may be that other things are connected to the vent from the kitchen area, but nothing else is connected to the main sewer pipe.

It's too far under the house for me too tell with any certainty about what else may be connected to the vent line, and I doubt any photos would help, at least until I get the floor out tomorrow.

Chappie

Reaction score
Next question - I was planning to use PVC, but it occurred to me that, since this is outside, it could be susceptible to freezing. I realize that for the most part, this pipe will be empty, but there will be water in the P-Trap at least. It only gets below freezing once or twice a year here, and even then, not by much (thanks, global warming!). Will PVC suffice or will I just be replacing it again in winter?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is only one other branch off of the main sewer line and it goes straight to what appears to be the vent. At any rate it's a 5" pipe that goes up through the walls and eventually gets piped down to a 2" pipe out of the roof. It may be that other things are connected to the vent from the kitchen area, but nothing else is connected to the main sewer pipe.

It's too far under the house for me too tell with any certainty about what else may be connected to the vent line, and I doubt any photos would help, at least until I get the floor out tomorrow.

We want to be sure that we are not comparing apples to oranges. A vent has no other drains connected it. A lot of people make the mistake of seeing the main stack in a home and have the false impression that it is the "vent". The vent stack is only the dry portion of the pipe which is above the highest drain connection. Any other vents can only be tied into the stack at least 42" above the floor of the highest drain connection. In addition, the vent for the trap on the shower must rise vertically from the trap arm to no less than 42" above the floor above before is is permitted to turn horizontal if needed to make it's way to a path through the roof. As one may imagine, this is all a lot easier for most to understand given a diagram or picture.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Next question - I was planning to use PVC, but it occurred to me that, since this is outside, it could be susceptible to freezing. I realize that for the most part, this pipe will be empty, but there will be water in the P-Trap at least. It only gets below freezing once or twice a year here, and even then, not by much (thanks, global warming!). Will PVC suffice or will I just be replacing it again in winter?

I am not sure how it is that your trap will be outside, it should be directly below the shower drain in a protected crawl space or basement, or buried in the ground if the room is slab on grade.
Freezing water will break a trap, regardless of if they are metal or plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks