Replacing double 3/way switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Bought the identical double 3/way switch to replace one I unfortunately destroyed and didn't write down which wires went to which terminals. The only thing I DO know is that the red circled three wires are ALL hot according to my tester. Also, I don't know if the brass bridge on the side with the two black terminal screws was intact or removed on the original installation. Any help is sincerely appreciated. Obviously, I'll try anything you suggest. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,419
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 680

Stuff

Reaction score
You have a difficult mess. Best place to start is to go to the other end of each circuit and see how the 3-way is wired there. Identify what colors the two travelers are connected to (brass screw). Also open the boxes where the controlled lights are to see what is spliced.

Can you see if the three top and three bottom wires all part of the same cable?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll do my best to run it down. In answer, the six wires are not in the same cable, but there are three additional unrelated switches at the same location so I'll need to take it apart. Anyway, thanks.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Have you sorted this problem out yet?
There is no brass bridge between the brass screws. You are thinking of outlets.
The brass screws are you traveler terminals. The black screw is your common terminal.
You said that the six wires are not in the same cable. The question is do you have a set of red, black and white wires in one cable and another set of red, black and white wires in another cable.
It would be helpful if you straighten the wires out and separated them so we can see what wires are in which cable.
There are five ways to wire a set of 3-way switches.
We can help you identify how your switches are wired if you provide certain information. Or I can provide you with diagrams of the five different ways if you would like.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There is no brass bridge between the brass screws. You are thinking of outlets

There usually IS a bridge since a single "hot" could feed both switches, It is removed if the switches are fed from different sources.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The picture of the switch showing the two black screws does look like there is a recessed common bridge as you stated. Read your instructions that came with the switch. They are the hot side and as shown below without a bridge and a common hot wire would normally be wired to both switches. A bridge would not require it. But in your case it appears that you have two hot wires (black), or the two black wires going to the ceiling light. therefore, you would need to break the bridge if there is one. Get an ohm meter and check if there is any continuity between the two black screws.
What is the brand and model number of this switch?

The pic below is from a google search on Leviton double 3 way switch diagrams. The wire on the left screws would be your red and white wires. Please note that the white wire in your switch box is NOT a neutral. The neutral is at the ceiling light and it may be feed from the other 3 way switch.

From your pictures and description (hot on all leads), your double switch in the circuit is the two switches on the left of the diagram.

Double-3-way-120-277V-switch-5640a-600.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks