Replacing Doorknobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This forum rarely lets me down. So here goes:

I want to replace all these old doorknobs in my house. Brass plating starting to wear thru etc.

I know less than zero about doorknobs. I'm familiar with the major locks...but that's it.
I've seen the packs of 4-6 at big box but have no clue what to look for regarding quality/brands and so on...

These are primarily for bed & bath so locks aren't necessarily needed.
...thanks..

Mike50

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Locks for bed and bath...with just a turn button or push button, on the inside,...are labeled just that....bed and bath, or sometimes called privacy locks.

Kwikset is OK, but no one likes the 6-way latch they now use on all their locks.
They have at least 3 grades...regular, security, and Ultramax. Schlage is better quality lock, but they also range from grade 3 residential, to grade 2 residential/light commercial, to grade 1 heavy commercial.

Prices range from roughly $10 to $100. I would avoid the "defiant" brand or other "house" brands. The few bucks you save give you a really lousy lock.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Depending on your budget, you may want to consider a lifetime finish if you are going with better locks.

Paul

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jimbo said:
Locks for bed and bath...with just a turn button or push button, on the inside,...are labeled just that....bed and bath, or sometimes called privacy locks.

Kwikset is OK, but no one likes the 6-way latch they now use on all their locks.
They have at least 3 grades...regular, security, and Ultramax. Schlage is better quality lock, but they also range from grade 3 residential, to grade 2 residential/light commercial, to grade 1 heavy commercial.

Prices range from roughly $10 to $100. I would avoid the "defiant" brand or other "house" brands. The few bucks you save give you a really lousy lock.

This is a good start Jimbo. Didn't know grades existed...
I'll look at the schlage or comparable moderate priced.

Like I said, I saw a six pack of doorknobs a while back they sell so...
I'll stay away from brands mentioned.

I will replace entry and back doors later on and will spend to get a high quality product there.

These are interior/utility only.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks