Replacing dishwasher with washing machine

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by ripkenspal, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ripkenspal

ripkenspal New Member

Is it possible to replace a dishwasher with a washing machine? I know the in and out pipe / hose sizes are traditionally different (dishwasher smaller), but is it possible to hook up a small washing machine that will utilize the connections my dishwasher now does?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Probably not. The drainage will be completely inadequate. You will have to improvise a cold water supply, and the hot water line will have to be increased in size. A portable dishwasher might be a better option, but even then you have to ensure that the faucet will handle the water connection.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

No...not enough water and not enough drain! Not to mention..does anyone even make a WM which would fit in the space??
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you can live with very long wash cycle times, some of them will work with a small supply as they have level sensors - course, it might take it 20-minutes to fill. Most WM are wider and taller than a typical 24" DW space, and aren't designed to fit underneath a counter. Most portable ones are designed to discharge into the sink, but we don't see this type in the USA much.
  5. ripkenspal

ripkenspal New Member

Thanks, guys. I think I am going with a portable washer (Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine). I'd prefer not to flood my kitchen! Then I'm gonna use that space for a no-vent washer and start saving quarters.

By the way, they do have front loading washers that fit the space well. Most are about 24 x 24 x 33 (h). Same with these no vent dryers.
  6. JackWills

JackWills New Member

I am a little late then even, the portable washer is best, flexi and economy so will do good to your dishwasher.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Those mini machines are very pricey, can't wash large loads, and the dryers take forever to dry anything heavy like jeans or towels. I know what it is like to NOT have a W/D so in your shoes I would do the same thing....do what you gotta do!!!