Replacing dishwasher with washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

ripkenspal

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace a dishwasher with a washing machine? I know the in and out pipe / hose sizes are traditionally different (dishwasher smaller), but is it possible to hook up a small washing machine that will utilize the connections my dishwasher now does?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Probably not. The drainage will be completely inadequate. You will have to improvise a cold water supply, and the hot water line will have to be increased in size. A portable dishwasher might be a better option, but even then you have to ensure that the faucet will handle the water connection.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No...not enough water and not enough drain! Not to mention..does anyone even make a WM which would fit in the space??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can live with very long wash cycle times, some of them will work with a small supply as they have level sensors - course, it might take it 20-minutes to fill. Most WM are wider and taller than a typical 24" DW space, and aren't designed to fit underneath a counter. Most portable ones are designed to discharge into the sink, but we don't see this type in the USA much.

ripkenspal

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I think I am going with a portable washer (Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine). I'd prefer not to flood my kitchen! Then I'm gonna use that space for a no-vent washer and start saving quarters.

By the way, they do have front loading washers that fit the space well. Most are about 24 x 24 x 33 (h). Same with these no vent dryers.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Those mini machines are very pricey, can't wash large loads, and the dryers take forever to dry anything heavy like jeans or towels. I know what it is like to NOT have a W/D so in your shoes I would do the same thing....do what you gotta do!!!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have installed a clothes washer that sat on top of their countertop next to the sink. I forget how we plumbed it, but essentially it was a small hose similar to a dishwasher. I think it was connected similar to a dishwasher because the pump wasn't Huge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks