replacing copper T

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon

Reaction score
I have to replace this T. Will heating the T to remove it weaken the joint in the other T in the back of it--should the back one be replaced also?

I was thinking I would:

Cut pipe a couple of inches above the T
Remove & replace T
Sleeve the top pipe back together

Does that sound about right, or should I just remove T w/o cutting pipe? I'm worried about ruining other joints while trying to replace this one. This is new to me. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you wrap a damp rag around the joints you don't want to be affected, and don't take forever heating things up, they should be fine. On a T, unless you have some slack in the pipes, you can't pull it apart. Sometimes it's easier to cut it out and replace. It takes some practice to get it hot enough and pull it apart before the solder resolidifies. then, you have to reheat it to wipe off the excess solder, so you can put things back together.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will NOT remove it without cutting the pipe. The fittings are close enough together that you may unsolder the other joints, but if so, just reheat them and add solder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks