Replacing Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

coalpiper

Reaction score
Still ruminating over my closet flange challenges.

So, it looks like one ABS closet flange can possibly be replaced, although access is tight. It would involve putting a 3" coupling on the horizontal line, a short length of 3" pipe, then a 3" elbow, and short 3" vertical pipe. Then up through the floor and put on the new closet flange.

Quite a few glued joints. As this is on original construction, I worry a bit about the risk of cracking glued joints elsewhere in the piping system.

Any experience out there with this sort of thing ? Or am I over thinking this.

coalpiper

Reaction score
I guess the other thing is … what is the best way to check for leaks in the piping after the closet flange replacement ? In a new home build don't you do a hydrostatic test ?

In the case of replacement after a new build, you don't really have that option (the hydrotest).

So do you just run a bunch of water through the new fittings setup and check for leakage ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So do you just run a bunch of water through the new fittings setup and check for leakage ?

They call that a running test.
In the crawl? Or higher than that? It's a rare day that I would have a leak on 3"
Very rare.

coalpiper

Reaction score
The flange is on the top floor of a 4-level split. There is some access underneath, from the garage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks