Replacing closet flange, disaster of fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

timh

Reaction score
After we pulled up our old rotted subfloor we found this mess. First, the flange is set inside a 3" which I know is a no-no around here. I have been stumped trying to think of any moderately easy ways to cut in and set a new soil pipe and flange. I've been reading these forums a lot and I kind of figure this is my last hope before calling in a pro. When I look at it I think I need to cut it off at the bend on the left side where all the branches come together. If that's the case, I'm not really confident in my abilities to get everything back to the exact right position.

I'm hoping you'll say there is some fitting that will fit over the female end of the closet bend, so I could put in a 4" pipe and a new flange after the floor is installed.
Photo Aug 26, 6 18 27 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 28, 6 21 20 PM.jpg

- Tim

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What's wrong with what you have? It's a good flange with a stainless steel ring. It's a street flange which there is nothing wrong with. The ID of the flange is no smaller than the ID of the 3" pipe. Just be sure you screw it down to the floor.

John

timh

Reaction score
I had been in such a panic over this I hadn't thought about that. Should I just mount it to the new subfloor? We are moving from the old rotted 1/2" to new 3/4". So I don't think the flange will be flush with the finished floor. I know this isn't ideal, but done all the time. What's the best way to deal with the gap? I've heard spacer rings with silicone between them, double wax rings, waxless rings. What would you do in your house?

THANKS!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it winds up below the finished floor, then stack two wax rings on the floor flange.
I don't like the stacked plastic wafers.

If you wanted to be fancy, you could split out the fitting and replace the closet flange. But like mentioned above, not needed.
95% of our installs here in Washington State are done with two wax rings.

Last edited:

hboogz

Reaction score
Is there a name that identifies this kind of setup that's standard in the industry? I suspect the 3" abs to the right is going to the shower and the 1.5" on the left is going to the sink? I apologize if I'm off on the size of pipe, but if this is approved by the board, as a newbie, I'd like to save this image for future reference.

Thanks,

After we pulled up our old rotted subfloor we found this mess. First, the flange is set inside a 3" which I know is a no-no around here. I have been stumped trying to think of any moderately easy ways to cut in and set a new soil pipe and flange. I've been reading these forums a lot and I kind of figure this is my last hope before calling in a pro. When I look at it I think I need to cut it off at the bend on the left side where all the branches come together. If that's the case, I'm not really confident in my abilities to get everything back to the exact right position.

I'm hoping you'll say there is some fitting that will fit over the female end of the closet bend, so I could put in a 4" pipe and a new flange after the floor is installed.
View attachment 21397View attachment 21398

- Tim

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet is being vented by the 3x2 wye.
It may be a lav wet vent.
Wet venting requires at least a 2".

The 3" coming in downsteam can be anything. It doesn't really matter as it's downstream of the vent anyway.

hboogz

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

Downstream of the vent means the 3" is physically attached below the 3x2 wye that vents the toilet, and which also may vent the lav. I'll search the forums/google for what a wet vent is. Thanks!

The toilet is being vented by the 3x2 wye.
It may be a lav wet vent.
Wet venting requires at least a 2".

The 3" coming in downsteam can be anything. It doesn't really matter as it's downstream of the vent anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks