replacing check valve on submersable pump???

Users who are viewing this thread

jaybob

Reaction score
My pump is about 280 feet deep and is cycling about every 7 minutes. I think it has been doing this for some time but I just moved it to a well house from a tight crawl space under house so I can diagnose better. I installed a new pressure tank and switch hoping it would help, it did need the tank as there was water on both sides of bladder. If I close the valve I installed before the tank it holds pressure. Does this sound like it is a check valve on the pump? Jay

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Jay, Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Yes it does, or maybe a leak in the pipe feeding the top side, tank.

Good Luck on Your project.

Have a great day.

DonL

jaybob

Reaction score
Thanks DonL. Thats what I was afraid of, dont really know how to pull up nearly 300 feet of pipe and pump but I have to figure it out. Hey is the check valve attached to the pump or internal to the pump? Thanks Jay

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most pumps come with an internal check valve, but it is common to add a more reliable brass/bronze one just above the pump. Your drop pipe in the well could be leaking, which causes similar symptoms.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Jay, You might want to wait for a pro on wells to come along for that answer. Depends on the well installer.

They put them up on top side, and also a foot valve could be used at the bottom of the well.

Or attached near the pump. You could put one on the top side, I do believe.

Sounds like a job , but you can DIY.

DonL

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I do a lot of things that the average DIY'er would not attempt, but I would not try pulling a 300' deep well pump.

All it takes it one mistake and you could end up needing a new well.

Once in a while, it makes a lot of sense to pay a professional for such specialized services.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
to stop the leak temporarily, install a check valve before the shut off valve.

If the pump is on Poly pipe, pulling it is rather easy. On steel, you better get a well guy, and unless you are a great DIY'r, let him put it back in - ON POLY PIPE!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
A 300' well pump is best done by a professional! It can be done by a DIY but one mistake could cost you thousands. A temporary check valve near the tank is a bandaid for the real problem. You can add a check valve just above the pump but if you do I'd recommend removing the guts from the pump check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks