Replacing cartridge for Pegasus Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

pstevnesontx

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience replacing a Pegasus shower cartridge? I have had this faucet for about 3 years and I cannot figure out how to remove this cartridge. I have removed the handle and the plate and can clearly see the cartridge. There does not appear to be any additional screws holding this in.

My faucet looks like this:

pegasus_shower_bronze.jpg

Thank you,

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:

Joel Brink

Reaction score
Similar scenario, but wanting to clarify. Have a pegasus shower setup (no tub) and I want to replace and update the look. This post is the only info I've found regarding the one that's currently installed. Question is, I can unscrew the handle (red) and the plate, but the piece (green) that attached the handle is too big to pull the plate off. Previous response said to just pull, but the thing is stuck on there, and the pipe doesn't feel anchored to anything if I give it some gusto.

Also, no shut of valves in the bathroom, no basement, crawlspace isn't easily accessible but my hope is that the shut off is near the water heater inside. Before going for that, are the mixing controls? (yellow) able to be shut instead? I'd like to see if the Pfister I got can even hook up to the old Pegasus valve without needing to replace that too. I'm really just trying to update the look, but something tells me this isn't going to be easy...

Thanks!

Attachments

• PicsArt_11-02-07.00.20.jpg
    PicsArt_11-02-07.00.20.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,982
  • 20201102_185417.jpg
    20201102_185417.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,903

Joel Brink

Reaction score

Joel Brink

Reaction score
Thank you. So now that I've learned a lot about this defunct Pegasus brand, are there any modern cartridges that fit this style of valve? I've tried a Pfister, and a Delta, and neither are working.

Honestly, I'm just trying to replace the handle and head to an updated brushed nickel finish. The head would be easy enough, but I can't find a Pegasus brushed nickel handle anywhere. So now I'm trying to match another brand to this valve, since I'd rather not have to get into the wall.

Any manufacturers that make a cartridge that would fit, or a handle system that works with the old Pegasus cartridge? I think the former is my better bet...

20201107_163456.jpg

H D

Reaction score
Thank you. So now that I've learned a lot about this defunct Pegasus brand, are there any modern cartridges that fit this style of valve? I've tried a Pfister, and a Delta, and neither are working.

Honestly, I'm just trying to replace the handle and head to an updated brushed nickel finish. The head would be easy enough, but I can't find a Pegasus brushed nickel handle anywhere. So now I'm trying to match another brand to this valve, since I'd rather not have to get into the wall.

Any manufacturers that make a cartridge that would fit, or a handle system that works with the old Pegasus cartridge? I think the former is my better bet...

We are in the same boat as you. Finally identified the brand from very old HomeDepot receipts as a Pegasus 874-5196H. According to this https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/glacier-bay/874-5196h/replacement-part-list-english.html replacement list, there's a brushed nickel part: 874-5104. Question is, where does one find it?

I have always had this irrational fear of a part such as this going bad and needing a replacement, only to realize a few tiles in the wall have to be removed to replace the valve and the brand :(

pegasus-874-5196h.jpg

H D

Reaction score
In desperation, I called HomeDepot (1 877 527 0313 - Pegasus/Glaciar Bay options) and the person who helped me looked through the HD inventory and did not find the Brushed Nickel in stock. She said she'd forward the part numbers I specifically needed (I read off the parts from the link I mentioned in my previous post) to the manufacturer and see if they will be willing to send a replacement. The Heritage Bronze was in stock, however.

I am supposed to hear back by Saturday.

If the manufacturer (which Google search suggests is a basically Home Depot itself?) cannot send those parts, or it's prohibitively expensive, I am planning on going to the craft store and picking up "Rustoleum mirror effect paint" and spraying the bronze with it. Maybe followed by some clear coating? That's what it has come to :oops:

Joel Brink

Reaction score
Circling back here since I'm still trying to figure this out 2 years later. Got ahold of a manufacturer at one point and they told me they would not send replacement parts because I did not have the receipt. (The faucet was installed by the previous house owner.)

Just recently bought a different model of Pegasus Estates 874-5704, and of course the cartridge is a totally different size and the unit will not fit the old valve.

Would love to know if you ever figured something out.

Thanks!

kherbine

Reaction score
Circling back here since I'm still trying to figure this out 2 years later. Got ahold of a manufacturer at one point and they told me they would not send replacement parts because I did not have the receipt. (The faucet was installed by the previous house owner.)

Just recently bought a different model of Pegasus Estates 874-5704, and of course the cartridge is a totally different size and the unit will not fit the old valve.

Would love to know if you ever figured something out.

Thanks!
Hey, I am in a similar situation. I want to update the look of my shower. It has a pegasus series 1000 (model 813-936G) installed but cannot for the life of me find any information on the rough-in valve and if other cartridges can fit. Did you ever find something that fit? I don't want to order a bunch of parts and have to return them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks