Replacing boiler gate valves with ball valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdbs3

Reaction score
Time to replace some 20 year old gate valves that may be partially stuck closed, with ball valves. Above one of the gate valves, there is a T (that connects to a PRV)--> 1" x ~2 1/4" copper pipe section --> copper female adapter --> brass 1" close nipple --> the gate valve.

I'm hoping that with pipe wrenchs, I can get the gate valve off without damaging the female adapter or nipple. But if they ARE damage, then I would need to sweat off the old female adapter and replace it with a new one.

Here is where the problem is. Given it is a 20 year old solder, then it was probably 50% tin and 50% lead.

If I de-solder the adapter and clean off the 1" x ~2 1/4" copper pipe stub, then can I reuse the pipe stub with a new female adapter?

The reason I ask is that I have heard it is not good to re-solder a fitting. But in this case, I might have to given the T and its proximity to the 1156F PRV, etc.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks