Replacing Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

diygirlie

Reaction score
What is the right way to put the tub down? It is in the basement if that makes a difference
Do I put plastic sheeting then mortar then the tub on top of the mortar?
I am assuming that you are not to put the tub directly on the concrete.
Thanks guys :)

20170106_143132_HDR.jpg

20170106_181405_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you do a forum search with the search box above. I suggest mortar piles as an initial search term.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally set the tub on the concrete.
With a tub like yours, I like to place some piles of mortar down that can squish out. You don't want the mortar to prevent the tub from dropping down.
I find the high spot where the apron is, and then set up my backer board on the back wall off of that. Sometimes the apron gets shimmed, though with that tub I wouldn't expect it to carry much weight.

I like to assemble the waste and overflow to the tub first, and then take it off and set in in the floor to the p-trap. That way I know that it aligns right with the tub. I use the type that glues up.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I hope your not planning to leave the dryer flex vent inside a closed wall? It must be metal and all joints taped over. If you leave it as is it will eventually fail, dry rot and fall apart, then the cavity will fill up with lint eventually posing a potential fire hazard. With metal every year or two you can clean it out using a brush.

dryer_vent.jpg

flex vent pretty much does not meet building codes anymore because of the fire hazard.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In addition, you will need to create an access door (through the drywall under the valve rough in) to service your bath drain from the adjacent room/closet and install a vent.

You might want to remove the toilet to make work easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks