Replacing an outside water bib?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dereks, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dereks

dereks New Member

Yesterday, I caught a crazy woman stealing 1 gallon of water from the outside spigot. One gallon will not bankrupt me but she left it dripping. Since she acted insane and very inappropriately, I'm afraid that she'll turn on the water all night.

Is it easy to change the spigot to one needing a wrench or key like thing? It is hard to turn off the water so changing the spigot is the next best thing. What do I do after I remove the screw to the handle of the faucet?
  2. DonL

DonL Banned

Just keep the handle of the faucet indoors, and take it out when you need it.

How did you measure the 1 gallon of water that she got ?

Around here the dogs and cats get water, because I leave it out for the needy. Humans welcome also.

Have a great day.

DonL
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Take the screw out of the center of the handle. The handle may stick a bit, but it should come off.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Depending on the make and model of the hose faucet, you may be able to remove the "bonnet" and replace it with one from a "keyless" faucet which needs a little "wrench handle".
  5. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

I went the other route and added a drinking fountain to my front yard.
    Lots of people walking by, I thought it was nice to provide drinking fountain and a bench to sit on.
    I get a lot of smiles and thumbs up from people walking by.
    Michae
    l[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  6. DonL

DonL Banned

Very Nice Michael, Way to go You.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Very nice; very thoughtful!
  8. DonL

DonL Banned

Good People think of others, Not just themselves...