Replacing an old water softener system

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by banthony4, Feb 1, 2010.

1. banthony4

banthony4 New Member

I have an old (looks like a Fleck timer valve) water softener system that doesn't seem to be working well - think I need new media and figure its best just to replace the whole thing with a metered system. The question I have is what the risk is in over sizing the system? I have found Fleck 5600 stx on demand systems that look good and the 48,000 grain is only $30 more than the 40,000 grain (calculators say the 40,000 should be adequate). Second question I have is the Vortech tank technology worth another $150?

2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Business owner/service and sales
    If the media tank and brine tanks are in good shape, upgrade the 5600sxt and new media along with a turbulator.... more resin in same size tank.
    Maybe replace the brine float assembly if it is brass with a 2310 plastic..

once done step back and call it good....

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Retired
    If the softener has been working well I'd replace the resin and control valve and look at a Clack WS-1 CS. They have more features and are much easier to repair than a Fleck 5600 SXT.

5. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Business owner/service and sales
    And if there is already a 5600 in place with the bypass ,, replacing it with a new 5600SXT will marry right up to the Bypass that is already there and no need to change any of the plumbing.

6. jimclemmer

jimclemmer New Member

hello
    I am agree with Gary Slusser I think you need to contact with any reliable plumbing company for repair your water softener system

Regards
    Jim clemmer

7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Retired
    Thanks Jim but from my 23 years of experience in the water treatment industry and 13 years answering peoples questions on the internet, I find that most plumbers don't know water treatment and don't like to 'fix' softeners. Also, he should do this himself as I believe he wants to.

8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor

Excellent advice Jim