Replacing an American Standard 30yr old toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

abaylock

Reaction score
We have a one-piece AS low profile (fawn beige give you a hint, came with the house). Lately we have had flushing issues (we have hard water, we have replaced parts) so we are looking at replacing the toilet. We have been considering the Toto SupremeII, since it is similar in style to the old AS and our bathroom is not very large.
In researching the newer technologies , I read on one of your blogs that a higher tank will help produce a slightly better flush in the new 1.28 toilets. How much of a consideration is this?
At this point my head is spinning with all the details for replacing the toilet, and I just don't want to be disappointed after buying a new, low consumption unit. I don't know anyone personally that has a newer Toto so I have only seen some You-Tubes to demo the flushing/rinsing action of the Double-Cyclone.
Thanks in Advance!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, so the Supreme II is the lower-tank version of the Ultramax II. Same design, just the "tank" height is different. So, if it fits in your application, the Ultramax II has a slightly-more-effective flush. In most applications, you won't notice the extra height of the tank. I was surprised at how ours fit so nicely. It isn't as big as the pictures made it seem in my head.

Don't let this be over-complicated. Replacing a toilet seems like a big deal, but it usually isn't.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
What is the gpf (gallons per flush) of the AS toilet?

What is the problem?

If it is mineral build-up there are a few things you can try. But if it is a 3 gpf, or more, it probably is not worth saving.

How much of a consideration is a higher bowl? Not much, but it may be "just enough". It depends on a few things - pipes, sewer condition, water spot size, mineralized water, drain valve size, trap way geometry, etc., which may be inconsequential in your case.

Have you read this page?: https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....h-ms604114cefg-toilet-reviews-pictures.22139/ Double cyclone may help with mineral build-up. idkfs.

abaylock

Reaction score
I'm guessing the old toilet is a 2+ flush. We don't live in an area where water conservation is a big consideration, but we like to be eco-friendly if we can. I did read the crtoilet.htm prior to posting
I've seen the UltramaxII, the Soiree, and the Guinevere at a local dealer. The style of the UltramaxII didn't do anything for me. I didn't care for the way the tank tapered up (just personal preference). The others are starting to go out of my price range. The skirting factor is nice but not necessary. I have family that have purchased the Drakes and are happy, but they had 2 piece toilets to start.
The height of the tank plays into the overall feel of the bath, which is in an older cape cod style house. Even though the bath was redesigned in the late 70s or very early 80s and has a reasonable footprint(open floor space is roughly 5'x7'), the shorter the tank the better the visual.
So the Supreme was my choose until I saw 1 last comment about the higher the tank the better the flush. Trying not to over think this, but also trying to make a good investment.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you don't like the higher tank, get the Supreme. Also, not for nothing but the price at a local dealer may be higher than you need to pay. Local prices vary wildly. So, once you have the model number and color of the one you want, get out the yellow pages and call 5 plumbing supply places with the number and color and tell them that you are ready to order today if the price is right. Almost all of them can get your Toto, even if they don't advertise that fact. One will be rude. One will be nice. One will have a crazy-high price. One will have a very good price. Then you can decide what you want to pay and who you want to do business with... Use Terry's link to his prices above as an idea of what a fair price is.

This method of making a number of calls has repeatedly worked well for our members. You will be surprised at the range of prices quoted.

abaylock

Reaction score
I've been researching an online purchase, which can save me over $100 compared to the closest dealer. Been checking all the fine print, if I want to pursue that option. Free shipping and return policy looks solid as long as you follow the instructions (I'm sure to a T). Next step is to call and talk to them. But either way local or web, I'm thinking we have made a good decision with Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks