Replacing a Whirlpool Dryer Element

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a picture of the element on a Whirlpool dryer. The one half looks rather blackened from burning out. The parts dealer said not enough air, and it ran too hot. The dryer vents needs to be clear, and the room is sets in needs new air while it's running.

whirlpool_dryer_element_1.jpg

The old burned element on the left, and the new replacement on the right.
This picture was taken with my Galaxy S6.

whirlpool_dryer_element_2.jpg

This is the old one that was taken out of service. This one lasted ten years. It was due I guess.
http://www.firstappl.com/ is where I had the old element tested and purchased. I love having someone local that has the parts, and the knowledge. I learned so much in the few minutes I was talking to them.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The only thing that burns out the elements is because of not enough air flow.

Someone that does not clean the lint filter is the major cause.

I always operate my clothes dryer on the low temp setting, Because I do not babysit it for when it catches fire.

I do have a smoke detector near it, And you should Too.

Those enclosed elements are cheaper to build and fix, Than the Drum Fan with the element.

And the full size drum element does not care about Grandmas knitting. She will hang them on the cloths line anyway.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Someone that does not clean the lint filter is the major cause."

My son Taylor, the computer programer, said the lint filter was packed!
You can't tell your kids too many times to clean the darn filter. I normally check it whenever I go in there.
Sadley, he was home alone with my dryer. That's all it takes folks. :(

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem often goes well beyond the lint screen. I have taken apart several driers which had the squirrel cage and vent outlet packed with lint . Dryers which have been in use for more than 5 years without having been taken apart and cleaned out are likely to be in dire need. Dryers attached to flexible vent tubing are more problematic than those with rigid vents.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I guess the thermal cutoff did not work all that great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks