Replacing a Well Pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by patgiach67, Jan 10, 2009.

1. patgiach67

patgiach67 New Member

We pulled out our old well pump, replaced it with a new one and new wiring. Our well states its 300 ft in depth. When we tried to send the pump back down into the pipe it stopped at 75 ft. Sounds like we are hitting something that prevents the pump from going down all the way. Does anyone know what this could be? I need help right away.
  2. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

Don't know if this will help or not but I have ran into situations where jogging the pump up & down & turning the pipe at the same time sometimes gets it to go on down .
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

It may be that your well casing is only 75 feet long, while the rest of the depth is just a hole in the bedrock. You might have a ledge in there hanging up the pump.

If the old pump came out with no problem, an identical size will go back in. As was said before, it may just need to be rotated.
  4. patgiach67

patgiach67 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow we have a guy coming with a 45 pound drill bit to put down the well and try to pound an opening. Will let you know if that worked. Right now we are running a hose from my neighbors house to ours to just have water. When we tried to move the pump up and down it sounded like it was in mud. You can hear the water dripping down in the well though.
  5. patgiach67

patgiach67 New Member

The old pump gave us a little struggle to pull out at one point but once we managed to get it passed that point it pulled out with ease. We hope that its nothing major. It has everyone stumped.:
  6. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

You just answered my question of where the old pump was. Turning the pump might get it by the bad spot. Remember it has a wire guard on it (I hope) and that can stop it in a narrow area.

I don't think 45 pounds is going to do you much good. 800 might be a little better. Don't drop the pump hard on this bad spot. You may stick it there permanently.

bob...