Replacing a waste and overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdub2108

Reaction score
I am replacing a bathtub and have removed the old one. The waste line runs into a gasket type piece, and there arent any nuts to loosen to remove it. It runs into the ground under a cement slab. I am hesitant to just tear it out in fear that I will damage something worse underneath. When I try to move it back and forth to pull it out the whole ground moves. Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with. Any suggestions?
20151217_143458.jpg
20151217_143445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would dig down a little or chisel out around the pipe to see what you got there. It looks like poured lead.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cast iron hub p-trap leaded in.
If it's in the correct position, you can remove the lead and work with it from there. If it needs moving, you may need to dig farther and relocate the p-trap.
It looks to be a 2" hub. You can pour a joint there, or use a rubber insert designed for a cast iron hub.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not seen an annular ring of lead, but I do see the top flange of a "donut". If the "ground moves" something is loose underground, and a lead/oakum system should NOT move.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks