Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replacing a three handle tub shower faucet with Moen Posi-Temp

Sometimes we find a three handle tub shower faucet that either needs updating, or we simply can't find parts for.
On method for repairing a three handle faucet, is to turn the water off at the home, pull the handles and stems, and take those to a local hardware store to match up. All of this takes driving time, two trips if you're lucky. If you have a photo, and you recognize the faucet, you may be able to have the correct parts when you make the first trip. Price Pfister makes a well used three handle, but there are more out there that are not PP, and don't give much of a clue.

buzzoni_tub_01.jpg

Yeah.......What's this?

buzzoni_tub_02.jpg

Okay, that valve body looks like nothing I've seen. I'm replacing with a Moen Posi-Temp anyway, so here I go.
The Posi-Temp pressure balances, nice for an old home when somebody is working the kitchen sink or flush a nearby toilet in the second bath.

buzzoni_tub_03.jpg

Installed and ready to be secured in the wall.

buzzoni_tub_04.jpg

Trimmed with Moen repair plate and the "Moen Level" tub shower trim.
Now if they ever have an issue, there is the lifetime guarantee from Moen on the cartridge.
And we "know" what it is this time. It's much easier to "dial" in the temperature too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
merrick_11.jpg

There was an old, old three handle valve at 10" centers here.

merrick_13.jpg

A jig saw with a tile blade opened the wall a bit.

merrick_14.jpg

Not liking the lath and plaster here.

merrick_15.jpg

Moen Posi-Temp with new trim.

merrick_16.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Have you tried the "Waterhill" plate? It might be wide enough to cover without using the "repair plate". I have used a similar one from Delta, (it fits a lot of round plate valves and comes in many finishes), and it makes a very nice looking installation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Have you tried the "Waterhill" plate? It might be wide enough to cover without using the "repair plate". I have used a similar one from Delta, (it fits a lot of round plate valves and comes in many finishes), and it makes a very nice looking installation.

moen_waterhill_ts310.jpg

The specs on this are 8" from left to right. That may not be enough to replace an 8" on center three valve faucet. It would be helpful for replacing a single though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks