Replacing a lead soil tube

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ChrisTyrrell, Sep 20, 2004.

1. ChrisTyrrell

ChrisTyrrell New Member

While remodeling a bathroom (built in '52), I had to destroy the existing brass flange and soil tube in order to remove the flooring (Ok, I didn't HAVE to, but I did it anyway because I don't know what the heck I'm doing). The soil tube was lead, attached to a slightly larger pipe (not lead, not cast iron, galvinized I s'pose) which is then seated (and apparently soldered) in the cast iron closet bend.

If I can remove everything down to the closet bend, how shall I connect my new 3" PVC to the closet bend? :confused: If I can't do this, then I'll call the plumber, but I really don't want to call the plumber. $$$

I have access from above and below, and I'm picking up a Bernz0Matic this evening to begin removing the remants of the old soil tube.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Des Moines
  2. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Replacing a closet bend

[​IMG]

It probably needed to be replaced anyway so don't sweat it, 50+ years old!
    Melt the lead off of the ferrule, (the wipe joint near the cast iron hub) and install a transition coupling. Fernco Pro-Flex is a good quality coupling for this purpose. Make sure you wipe all the lead from the brass ferrule. Make the transition to PVC with the appropriate size coupling. Don't forget to anchor the new closet flange to the floor.
  3. Jotus

Jotus New Member

Related question to replacing soil tube

How do you connect PVC to a 4" cast iron pipe with a hub?
  4. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Lead Bend Replacement

Melt the lead off of the ferrule, (the wipe joint near the cast iron hub) and install a transition coupling. Fernco Pro-Flex is a good quality coupling for this purpose. Make sure you wipe all the lead from the brass ferrule. Make the transition to PVC with the appropriate size coupling
  5. ChrisTyrrell

ChrisTyrrell New Member

Thanks for the help - it worked

Your help regarding my lead soil tube was right on. I was originally planning on beginning with removing the solder around the ferrule, but I'm so glad I didn't after reading your advice. The ferrule turned out to be 3", just like my PVC and the Fernco coupler I had already bought. It all fits together like a champ.

Tomorrow, I'll be installing DurRock, then tile, then I'll fasten the flange and be all set to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris