Replacing a closet toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Nice on John Bridges

You have to be nice on the John Bridges forum or some of the tile setters will get in your face. I spent my last year in the Army at Fort Hood, U.S. Army Infantry Captain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Humm, the Fluidmaster waxless ring assembly I bought came configured for 4". YOu remove a part (and throw it away) to make it fit into a 3" drain line. You should be fine with what you have.

Granny2HWBLGJJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm baaaaaaaack........

Lonnie......My hat is off to the military and not just cause they risk life and limb but cause they have to clean everything so spit shine clean to move.....it was nuts......we spent 3 days cleaning and that was after my son and his wife had already cleaned for three days.....and she is a good home maker.......they are super picky in the military.....and my son had to wash his desert jacket three times before they would accept it to be turned in.....and drive 15 miles three times so almost a 100 miles just to turn in gear...with gas as high as it is ......that is a crime in itself to do that to a soldier......I told them when they move from Germany back state side we are paying someone to do this....they were trying to save the 300 to pay the pros to do it...and use that money elsewhere.....it was not worth it to me....I will send them the money next time.....anyway I have the grout in .....in my bathroom and am wondering when I can set my toilet back in????? also if the new toilet does not set right on the wall, do I need to bring the wall out to meet the back of the tank? the new toilet does not look as long as the old one......thanks......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The "normal" toilet flange is set so that the bolts that hold the toilet in place are 12" from the wall. if yours are that distance, then when you install it, it will be as the manufacturer designed it. Depending on the manufacturer, the space behin d the toilet can vary - 3/4" is what most Toto toilets have. It typically has a space behind it, if installed properly.

There was a documentary I saw somewhere on military housing - it seems that the inspectors often run a cleaning service on the side, so if you don't use them to clean the place, they get extra picky - most people give up in frustration and pay. Should be a crime, if it isn't, but most people don't have the time to fight it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks