Replacing a Cast Iron tub drain.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by motonutz123, Nov 11, 2010.

1. motonutz123

motonutz123 New Member

Hi,

I have a cast iron tub that I am trying to install the new drain in the attached drawing. The old openings in the tub are 2" diameter. The new drain I bought is 1 1/2" diameter. Are there any adapters to do this? I also need to know if the washer at the drain in the drawing is installed at the top of the tub opening or from the bottom. I've included photos of the tub.

I see a washer in the drawing for a cast iron tub. I need to know if it goes on top or the bottom of the tub when it's installed. Would anyone know of any videos or web pages that would show of this type of installation?

Thanks

http://www.terrylove.com/w_o.htm Similar to the drain I have.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You put plumber's putty (or silicon if you never want to get it off intact) under the drain on the top of the tub, then the rubber gasket goes on the bottom, normally followed by a washer and then the nut. On that drain, it appears that the bottom is threaded, and the drain part from above screws into it instead of that being a nut.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; then the rubber gasket goes on the bottom, normally followed by a washer and then the nut

I have NEVER seen a tub drain with a "washer and nut" on the bottom under the tub, EXCEPT for mobile home tubs which do not have an overflow opening. But, then, they use a "kitchen sink drain" in the outlet.