Replacing a cartridge for an older Moen Monticello faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Ray Lopez

Reaction score
I'm replacing the cartridge for an older Moen Monticello faucet because it wouldn't stop running. I removed the old cartridge and replaced with a new cartridge but it still doesn't stop the water flow. Seems like the cartridge doesn't line up properly with the hole in the valve that feeds the spout.
Any advice?

Ray Lopez

Reaction score
Two handle
I think my problem is figuring out how to insert the cartridge correctly so that it lines up with the faucet. There is a tab on the cartridge that should fit in a slot that is about 1.5 inches down into the valve. Whenever I think I have it set right and start to screw in the hold down nut it turns the cartridge out of position.
Any advice on how to insert the cartridge and screw down the plastic nut in the correct position?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When you get it inserted properly insert a Phillips screwdriver through the locknut, and wrench, and press down on the stem to keep it where it belongs.

Ray Lopez

Reaction score
When you get it inserted properly insert a Phillips screwdriver through the locknut, and wrench, and press down on the stem to keep it where it belongs.
I got the cartridge in place but now the lock nut that came with the stem extensions doesn't screw into place. It just keeps turning without catching. So the cartridge just pops out whenever water is turned on

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks